Product Reviews > Canoes > Blackhawk > Combi 15.8 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Combi 15.8 Canoe by Blackhawk

Rated: 9.33/10 Based On: 3 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

08-13-2013
Submitted by: TIMSend Email

I bought an experimental combi from Phil, it is 17'6 and I love it. I have been on lakes, fast rivers. Lake Michigan (Racine, WI.). I am 250lbs and with my wife two kids and the lab added up to about 650lbs. The Combi is our work horse and still when I go solo it is like I own two canoes. Dream boat. Last I heard in '87 Phil was heading to Missouri. Never heard any thing since.

08-02-2005

The middle Blackhawk Combi is a great canoe for most of the Midwest. It lacks the capacity needed in a tripping tandem, but is a great all around canoe that is at home here in Michigan. It is great on lakes of all sizes or on rivers so long as they only contain class I or II whitewater. The boat is small, but fast and responsive.

The 15'8" is not the best solo that Blackhawk made, but solo's better than any other tandem I have tried. As a solo tripper it would really shine. These are great boats that have not been made in some time now. If one pops up for sale you should only test paddle it if you can afford to buy it.

12-28-2004
Submitted by: TomSend Email

This is Blackhawk's larger Combi, made primarily for tandem use but also usable for solo. Mine was fiberglass with ash trim and somewhere in the low 50 pound range. Mine had a beautiful contoured ash and mahogany kneeling thwart. This is a hot tandem...a bit narrower than most so also a bit more lively (tippy), and it's also a lower volume tandem so it's happiest with lighter tandem loads...maybe 450 or less. But for medium sized paddlers that are willing to kneel this is a sweetheart of a tandem...fast, efficient, effortless, and turns on a dime. Really well made with great artistic details like most Blackhawks. Performs well even against more modern hulls. If you don't want to kneel or if your load is bigger you might be better off in a Morningstar or Northstar.