Product Reviews > Canoes > Grumman Canoes > 1340C Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for 1340C Canoe by Grumman Canoes

Rated: 9.8/10 Based On: 10 Reviews

Length: 13' 0" - Width: 35.0" - Starting at: $1048.00
See More Details about this Canoe
Grumman Canoes Logo

06-30-2014

This lightweight Grumman was made in about 1970 and has been in the family since about 1975. It was used with an optional rowing rig for several years. I sailed the little Grumman for a couple of years. Another person decided he would like to run whitewater with it. That was nearly the end of the story. After making extensive repairs, I have been using the canoe on a swift twisy Adirondack stream where it performs beautifully going upstream or down. When I was sailing it I found it to be very seaworthy. It is also spacious and shaped full in the ends which makes it ride waves dry and is more comfortable. My only negative comment is that the Grumman 13 footer is slow.

04-05-2013
Submitted by: M.S.H.Send Email

I have one of the early Grumman 13 double end canoes. I bought it used from a friend who was an old guy. He bought it from another old guy, me and this old guy fly fished out of it for several years until my friend died. I still fish from this canoe.

This canoe can be paddled Canadian style. It is just a good all around canoe. It paddles well with a load. I love this canoe! I have kayaks and one royalex canoe if I could only have one I would keep the Grumman. I am considering buying another Grumman.

03-14-2012
Submitted by: JEMSend Email

My poor old 13 Grumman has been in the backyard for almost 10 years. A few months ago I put it up on saw horses for cleanup and what I thought would be repairs. Other than years of dust, dirt and wasp nests the canoe was fine. After cleanup we found no leaks or damage of any kind. Got it on the water with one of the grandkids and remembered just how nice a old aluminum canoe can be. All my old rigging was in excellent shape as well. For a lifetime canoe that requires little care and can be passed along to future generations these Grummans are hard to beat.

11-21-2011
Submitted by: JTBSend Email

After nearly 10 years of sitting unused I cleaned up my old 1340 yesterday. The boat is as sound as ever and frankly has decades of life left. With grandkids now old enough to get out on the water it's time to get this canoe back to work. Never had any problems with it and for years many pounds of Florida fish came over the gunnels. Got to wonder why it sat for so long, but it's back now for a whole new generation. These boats are a life time purchase and one of the few paddle craft that can last forever with almost no care at all.

09-09-2010

I am a newbie at canoeing. I recently purchased a used 13ft Grumman canoe. My partner and I use it for fishing. He is also new to canoeing. After taking it out a few times I few that it is safe to give this canoe a 10 out of 10. I know from the previous owner that this canoe is AT LEAST 25 years old. It is in great condition! I don't believe the previous owners took extra steps for it to be in this condition. The canoe is light and spacious. It is about 50 lbs. My partner and I have no problem loading and unloading it off of our 2002 Chevy Suburban(we are toothpicks). I am 5'1 and 100lbs and he is 5'7 and 130lbs.

I recommend this canoe to anyone who wants a stable canoe that will last them forever. Here's proof that it is stable: Our second trip paddling the canoe out across a bay to get to some marshland an unexpected thing happened. A HUGE fish about 3 ft long jumped out the water about 3 inches from our canoe because it appeared our paddle startled it; our chicken butts' was also startled and dove towards the opposite side(still in the canoe). I was thinking that we are going in to the water, to my surprise, the canoe did not flip or take on any water!

Proof #2. In the same day of the fish incident, while we were anchored near the marsh land my partner decided to stand up and cast since we were sitting in the canoe for several hours. He somehow lost his balance and fell down, his upper body went half way out the canoe and the canoe took on water but still did not capsize. It took on 5-10 gallons of water and came back upright.

I have been in a fiberglass canoe before and that canoe leaked and needed repair and I believe that canoe was much younger than my old canoe.

Get a Grumman if you want long lasting quality!

03-01-2010
Submitted by: glennkresgeSend Email

I love this canoe. I have had all kinds of canoes over the years: composites, wood and aluminum. I have been canoeing for over 50 years; and have canoed all over this great land of ours. My experience includes white water, still water and open water. Now, how does the Grumman 13 fit into all of this? well, I was looking for a light canoe that would not be to hard on my 56 year old back, and a canoe that would be used for all purpose - but mostly for still water. I looked at the ultra lights kevlar - and was very close to buying one at the price $2,400; then I was told that they do not hold-up more than five years when stored outside. My last stop was the Grumman dealer-I was wanting a 15 Ft. Then I saw the 13 Ft. went over and pick it up-I liked it. I have now used it for a season in all kinds of weather; it handles great on still water with its standard keel (tracks great) and is fast with the many coats of aluminum wax on her hull. The so called noise factor has been way over stated by the anti-aluminum folks-it is not a concern, and I use this canoe for wildlife photography too. In closing, I call this canoe the Mighty Grumman. It brings back those days long ago when I was a Boy Scout Aquatics instructor teaching the sport of canoeing. Now, when I'm out there soloing I often smile and think some things don't need to change. The Grumman is one of them.

10-06-2009
Submitted by: LFISend Email

I have a photo of me paddling this canoe in 1962 (age 7). Carried it across my first portage at age 10. Towed behind fishing boat on many fishing trips to get to smaller lakes that were otherwise inaccessible. It will be 50 years old next year - my brother still has it and uses it in Colorado!

02-23-2006
Submitted by: SuntanSend Email

The fun began when I started to modify this canoe. First, I cut the thwarts and seats shortening the beam to 30 inches which also gave it a nice tumblehome. I put in a dropped center seat. I stretched the sterns over the roof racks of my truck to give it a little rocker. Next, I'm going to fiberglass over the keel and cover the hull with Teflon tape. This canoe is a lot of fun.

09-16-2005

I bought this canoe, with the intention on using it primary for fishing. When traveling solo with a very small amount of gear along. I will position myself in the bow seat, facing the stern. This has worked out extremely well for me. I find the Canoe to handle like a dream from this position. I have also used it in the BWCA on short solo trips. I paddled from the stern with my gear positioned towards the front, in the traditional style. It worked out well. This canoe is very stable, but you do sacrifice some speed for the added stability. Weighing in at 50 lbs. makes it easy to handle. All in all a great canoe.

11-18-2004
Submitted by: Jim

I'm an aluminum canoe kinda guy, I like em, they do have their faults, and I have an old 17 footer and old 15 footer. This 13 foot model has lighter 40 ga. aluminum and weights 50 lbs. I bought this model because of its weight and size. I use it to fish from in small lakes and to float the small rivers of the Jersey Pine Barons at which it excels. I got a great price on this canoe from a dealer going out of business. I had one Royalex canoe, it wasn't for me, it seemed to cut just looking at it, like I said I've been a Grumman guy since my Boy Scout days.