Product Reviews > Kayaks > Eddyline > Skylark Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Skylark Kayak by Eddyline

Rated: 9.67/10 Based On: 12 Reviews

08-18-2013

At 39 pounds, the Skylark is the kayak of choice on almost all the paddles I do. Eddyline has managed to combine speed and stability in this one kayak as well as the ease of handling the kayak on land for loading and carrying. Perfect kayak for inland rivers and lakes.

07-25-2013

I've had my Skylark a little over a month now and it is a pleasure to paddle. I have longer touring kayaks and a shorter sit-on-top, but I was looking for a short, lively kayak for day trips on local rivers and spring runs. After looking at and demoing several different models in the 10-13 foot range, I knew that in the Skylark I had found an almost perfect design for that purpose.

The cockpit is just a bit longer than many models which makes it easy enter and exit both on shore and in the water for a little swimming or snorkeling. It's wide enough to be stable yet trim enough to paddle efficiently. While only 12 feet in length, it tracks extremely well plus the hull design has a bit of chine which makes it very maneuverable on edge.

All in all, this is a great boat for a beginning paddler but one that will also enable them to practice more advanced skills when ready. And it's a great boat for intermediate to advanced paddlers looking for a little boat in which to relax. At 41 lbs it is easy to load, store, carry, and launch.

I got my Skylark without thigh braces so I could enter and exit more easily on the water, but I have no trouble jamming my knees & thighs up under the nicely padded hull in front of the seat for carving turns.

Based solely on performance and on providing a nicely designed boat for the day paddler who wants a lot more than a floating barge, I would give this boat a 10. However, I have to mark it down because the seat is fixed and therefore is not adjustable (or replaceable) and many will find the hard plastic seat uncomfortable for more than an hour of paddling. While you can always add a little bit of cushioning to the seat, the fact that you cannot adjust the seat bottom at all for trim is disappointing and should be considered before purchase. I also sliced my thumb open the first time I picked it up to carry on my shoulder due to a sharp edge on the cockpit coaming that should have been smoothed out before shipping. The Sandpiper is a great boat that bridges the gap between "recreational" and "touring" classifications, but a little more attention to finish and an adjustable seat are needed to get a 10.

07-24-2013

Several years ago we bought a Skylark for my wife to use on the lakes and smooth stretches of the Deschutes River around Bend. We noticed that they were being used by a lot of women and figured it would be the right size for her (105 lbs.). She loved it, and later we bought a second one to use as a "loaner" for friends and visitors. Lately I've been using the second one for local outings because it's small, light, and can go on and off the car easily in a crowded parking lot. I was initially worried that I would be too heavy for it (170 lbs.), but discovered that it wasn't the case. I love the dry land portability, but even more the maneuverability, stability, and general sportiness of it. Yes, it's pretty short and reaches top speed quickly, but it glides well accelerates easily, turns on a dime, and is roomy enough for my 6 ft. frame and day equipment (read: food). As far as construction, material and craftsmanship are second to none. Oh, it's also the best looking small kayak out there. For small lakes and tame rivers you can't find a better boat. I'd rate it a 10 but I figure that nothing's perfect, although I can't think of anything I'd change on it (except maybe adding a cupholder).

09-17-2012
Submitted by: JeffSend Email

I sold my 17' Tempest and bought the Skylark. Bought it new and it is just perfect! I just went out in a one hour paddle and my legs didn't fall asleep. Feels very stable, turns well, tracks well, looks awesome and is light!!!

Demo this one and prepare to buy it. I'm 6'0 200 and it fits me like a glove. One of my complaints with the Tempest was that the cockpit was too small. I couldn't get in and out of that sucker! No worries with the Skylark!

04-17-2012
Submitted by: Jon GSend Email

I am relatively new to kayaking but did quite a lot of research prior to purchasing my first boat. I was drawn by the two piece construction and 'big-boat' look of the Skylark but am delighted even more with it's performance. My only comparison is to molded rental kayaks which are what I now refer to as 'Little Tykes Kayaks' due to their rougher surface finish and soft edges. The Skylark was very easy to acclimate to, and the strong rudder and hard chines make it easy to hold on-line w/ vigorous use, as well as to turn quickly when needed. In short this is my first Eddyline, but it definitely will not be my last! Also the people at Great Lakes Kayak in Lake Bluff, IL are wonderful to deal with.

08-27-2010
Submitted by: KJSend Email

This was a big purchase for me, but after one of my recent rides into the choppy water... she just wanted to ride the waves. I felt safe and that the boat handled extremely well. I am mostly a marsh, coastal paddler (actually ONLY those) so Evangeline (yes, that's her name) is perfect for Cape Cod. Maybe there are better boats, but I have bonded with this one quite nicely. Thanks, Eddyline.

11-02-2007

WHAT AN AWESOME LITTLE KAYAK!!! I very aptly named her DaBomb. This little lady is very spry, yet extremely stable. I just KNOW I'm not gonna go over, regardless of the water conditions. And no, this is not my first kayak -- but it will definitely be my last. A real gem! She's DaBomb!

07-30-2007

I am a day user that kayaks mainly inland lakes which connect to Lake Superior. Bought my Skylark this last spring - own a rotomolded Current Designs Kestrel and planned on getting the TCS version until I demoed the Eddyline Skylark after checking them out online and the DVD they sent. The Skylark handled three foot waves beautifully and tracks great. I am very pleased with it and highly recommend anyone purchase this kayak.

09-20-2006
Submitted by: Ken GSend Email

Rented a Skylark on big Ross Lake in the rugged No. Cascades NP in Wash. state. Wow, what a great little boat! It tracked beautifully in moderate 5-15 mph winds, was very comfortable and super easy to poke into narrow canyons. We easily carried it inside a 15 ft. motorboat. Agree w/ above comments that it's expensive for a small kayak, but really handles like a longer (i.e. more sea worthy) boat! Up to 6- 8 miles per day this boat easily kept up w/the bigger kayaks. Feels solid in anything up to really big water or very high winds! Great boat. The Swift Wind paddles are also the BEST - way to go, Eddyline!

01-11-2006
Submitted by: jeffSend Email

I'm a new sea kayaker and wanted a light but durable kayak. I love the skylark. It is so much fun to paddle. We've had one serious winter storm in which my boat was bashed around and hung by a cable. It didn't have a scratch. For exploring little inlets and shelves it's hard to beat and the decking and rear bulkhead and carbonlite finish make it look and feel like a real sea kayak. I've had more than one person comment on its looks.

However I do want to do some real sea kayaking expeditions in the southern gulf islands, and was advised that this boat should not be taken there as it will be too difficult to control in big seas, and to do self rescue in. I'm definitely eyeing one of the skylarks bigger siblings for next year. But I think I'll keep it because it is just too much fun.

10-09-2005
Submitted by: pat

I am absolutely delighted with my Skylark!! I wanted a light weight and stable kayak and did not intend to spend $1000+... BUT AM I GLAD THAT I DID!!! The Eddyline is everything and more! Very stable (I traverse lakes only, but there are MANY BIG speedboats on these waterways...) It is FAST, and a breeze to paddle. I am over 50 and I did not want to carry 41 lbs over a distance of even 50'. My husband built a little "cradle" that fits into my "little red wagon" that I put in the back seat of my car... it's perfect. I bought a Thule kayak rack w/roll bar, so placing the Skylark on the cartop is very easily accomplished. Try the boat out prior to buying one as it is not cheap. Hopefully you will love yours as much as I love mine!

11-04-2004
Submitted by: SteveSend Email

Unbelieveable, what a complete package. Perfect for flat water, ie very stable, excellent for the great Lakes because of the small cockpit, and very lightweight, great for transpoting some distance to your favorite put-in by yourself. I paddled this new Kayak in Lake Michigan before the weather turned. Handles well, great value.

NRS: