Product Reviews > Kayaks > Hurricane Kayaks > Palmetto Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Palmetto Kayak by Hurricane Kayaks

Rated: 6.4/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

08-12-2013

This is the first kayak I've ever owned and I am not a small person. I bought it used on the recommendation of someone very knowledgeable about kayaks.

While I find the initial stability to be a bit tough as a newbie, the secondary stability made me very comfortable. I can edge without any problems and haven't capsized yet. It's taken me a bit to get used to, but now I have no problems tracking and it's pretty fast. Turns easily, corrects without a problems, lots of storage space and it's really pretty to boot. I'm falling more in love with the boat, but I can say, initially it was a bit frustrating. It's the kind of kayak that makes your practice those necessary skills of correct technique. But with time, practice and patience, it's become an excellent first time kayak.

10-27-2009

This kayak is very unstable, even paddling through very calm waters. If your paddle isn't out, it will roll completely over sitting still. In a turn, it continues to roll right into a capsize. Serious design flaws.

07-22-2008

The Palmetto is 12'9" long and 24" wide (somewhat narrow for a rec kayak). It's a very high volume boat, which is good and bad. Good because it can easily accommodate a larger paddler and carry lots of gear. Bad because the deck seems almost too high for that narrow width and makes it seem unstable. I like the bow entry on the Palmetto; I think that contributes to its having pretty good speed for a recreational kayak. I've paddled mine in various conditions and only capsized once (and that was completely MY fault, I did something boneheaded). However, when a friend of mine took it out, he found it to be "very unstable". But then, he's used to a 28" wide rec kayak. The Palmetto is fast for a recreational kayak and I've always thought the Hurricanes were attractive boats. For the right person, this could be an awesome kayak.

05-02-2005
Submitted by: canuescSend Email

Awesome boat. If you paddle narrow quietwaters and want the look and seaworthiness of a touring kayak the palmetto is great. It is highly agile and will comfortably seat a big paddler up to 250lbs.

I find a weekends worth of gear fits with no problem, thanks to the fact that Hurricane finally put some real hatches on it. The thin bulkheads are also nice because they maximize space in the biggest part of the boats storage area.

I have found the kayak to be steady and predictable on the water. Some might not think it to be fast enough, because it hits its hull speed quick. It is however efficient and requires minimal effort to keep it moving.

I think it is the best small plastic kayak I have seen yet for day/weekend paddling on protected waters.

The only real special outfitting I have done to mine is heel pads and an endurance seat pad system from sea air sports. I am kind of a fanatic on comfort every kayak I get, is immediately upgraded.

09-24-2004

I bought this boat at the beginning of August having had a Santee XL, which I liked but which I had outgrown. I expected the Palmetto to be a boat I could grow into--faster, more playful, etc., but it turned out to be a disaster. While it is faster, its "playfulness" is uncontrollable! The boat has little or no primary or secondary stability: it capsizes at the drop of a hat. I took a kayaking course to acquire paddling and rescue skills & also to see if the problem with the Palmetto was my lack of skill or the boat. It turns out it was mostly the boat: it cannot be leaned and it is very shaky when upright. Having thought I would use it for fishing, my course instructor said I could use it only if I used my paddle float as an outrigger! This is not how one wants to fish in a recreational kayak, albeit one with some touring features. I wound up trading it back to the dealer for a sea kayak whose stability and performance are more reliable. Since the Palmetto is marketed to beginners and intermediate boaters, and while this boat is very attractive looking, it can be treacherous for the buyers of somewhat limited skills whom it it is advertised to. I e-mailed the company and received no answer, and when I tried calling them, the phone line was reported as no longer in service, so I got no satisfaction from the company.