Product Reviews > Kayaks > Loki High Performance Kayaks > Loki R Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Loki R Kayak by Loki High Performance Kayaks

02-20-2007

I've paddled a Loki R for a couple of years and generally have only praise for it. The flat bottom produces very comfortable initial stability while allowing the rudder to turn the boat on a dime. Forget leaning, edging and all of that...totally unnecessary. It's speedy, tracks exceptionally well with the rudder down and can practically be tossed around with one hand. My only real complaint is the necessity of being barefoot (or wearing only neoprene socks) due to the limited foot space available. The elegant appearance makes for a conversation piece. A work of art.

07-28-2005
Submitted by: DWSSend Email

I chose the Loki R because of its light weight, which makes is easy to lift on and off the car-top rack, especially after a long outing. I often paddle solo so being able to do the lifting alone is essential. With lighter weight came the bonuses of greater speed and ease of propulsion compared with my fiberglass kayak of equal length. Who doesn't enjoy going faster, with equal effort? During a year of frequent day-use the Loki has been reliable, comfortable and well-suited to a range of sea conditions. An extra inch of freeboard would be ideal for my 6' frame and 200 lbs. I especially like the foot pedals and rudder mechanism - very easy to adjust and very efficient. It's also pleasing to attract the attention of other kayakers, who want to know what that distinctive looking boat is!

09-21-2004

The Loki R is a well-constructed, fast, ultra-light weight carbon fiber/kevlar kayak with a very high initial stability and an acceptable secondary stability. I use it for a workout boat. At an honest 41 lbs., it has a responsive feel and accelerates quickly. It is made to be paddled with the rudder down, and wanders without it. If you live for edged turns, forget it--this boat turns (and turns quickly) dead flat by means of the rudder. With the rudder down, you feel confident that you can go where you want in a great variety of conditions. I have driven it into 3' wind chop and found it to be relatively dry. Its flat bottom makes it a fast surfer on big wind chop, and the rudder stays buried to avoid broaching. I would opt for another inch of deck height to accommodate my long-legged 6'2" frame, but I can sit and bring my legs in one by one, so it's not really cramped. On my Loki R, the rear carry handle is placed where there is a possibility of interfering with the rudder, so this needs some attention. All in all, this unusual design delivers speed and stability and is a pleasure to paddle. Great customer service also.

BassYaks: