Product Reviews > Kayaks > Ocean Kayak > Malibu Two XL Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Malibu Two XL Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Malibu Two XL Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Length: 13' 4" - Width: 34.00" - Starting at: $849.99
See More Details about this Kayak
Ocean Kayak Logo

09-21-2014

I've being using the Malibu Two for couple of years and decided to purchase the XL version. It is an extremely stable boat with plenty of room for a big person on the back or for a small child or pet to ride in the middle. It can have up to three gaspachi hatches if you want. I made only one for the rear person. Would recommend to any beginner into kayak or for lake or river paddling. It can be converted to the Angler version if desired.

09-06-2014

Have owned it for 7 months. Surprisingly easy to maneuver & paddle, even solo. Did have to buy longer (250cm) paddles as it is a bit wider & higher than my other kayaks where a 230cm is just right for me. Great fishing platform.

Submitted by: travisSend Email

Great Kayak. I live on the Atlantic Ocean, I run a kayak rental Co. This is one of the best kayaking platforms... We scuba dive, long weekend camping, scaloping, all off of this kayak, I have many Ocean brand kayaks, as well as other brands, Hobile, Wilderness System, Pelican, to name a few. But the XL is best by far for all around multi purpose boats...

09-06-2014

This kayak had provided many hours of fun. It is very stable. We are able to keep up with most other kayaks. We have gone crabbing in the ocean, large swells, no problem. Have not had any issues with the kayak.

09-05-2014
Submitted by: DkfSend Email

Just purchased this kayak in August. This is my first Kayak. I borrowed a co-workers last summer (Ocean Malibu II) and really enjoyed it. So decided on getting one. Really enjoy this Kayak. The best part is the width. At 34" it is really stable for a novice. The construction is great and the seats and paddles that come with it are better than okay for stock accessories. The handles are solid and well put together.

The only real weak point I can find are the paddle holders. Don't get me wrong they work fine but are a little trickery to use if your hands are wet.. I've been out on the lake more than a dozen times now and like the way it sits in the water and tracks when paddling solo.

The distinct advance of the XL of the non XL Malibu 2 is the ability to move the seat to center when solo or move it closer to the rear for tandem paddling. It has the capacity to fit a small child or dog in the center comfortably in the tandem set up. There is plenty on room for tall folks to get their feet in a comfortable position, but in the tandem set up a six foot person is about max on the foot pegs. I'm six foot and am in the last peg when seated in the rear.

If you're looking for a nice tandem setup with extra room I'd highly recommend this kayak.

07-27-2014
Submitted by: TMSend Email

I was a big fan of ocean kayak and Malibu 2 XL until recently. I have 9 Malibu 2 XLs, and all but 3 have developed cracks in the rear scupper plugs. In addition, the seat backs have ALL broken. That's 18 on these, and 9 more for other various OK boats. Ocean Kayak only has a 90 day warranty, unlike Wilderness Systems, who has a lifetime warranty. Very disappointed.

07-26-2013

My grandson, 17, and I took the Malibu XL out for 2 and 1/2 hours. It is moderately heavy, making it accelerate slowly, but maintains momentum well. It is very stable, and the seats are comfortable. It had auxiliary high back seats, but I do not lean back when paddling.
After he tired and got out, I spent 30 minutes solo. The performance was surprisingly good, though I would not want it to be my only solo boat.

Due to its weight I would rate it a 7 as a solo kayak and 9 as an all round double. My son-in-law's boat has showed no cracking. We used scupper plugs, and it was a dry ride. In waves or wind, you would get wet, but that is part of the fun. I am sure it can handle 2' waves, if not more.

07-25-2013

My husband and I are senior citizens. We bought the Malibu two XL because we needed something big enough for both of us and light enough that we could handle it. We had only been kayaking once in the Keys so we were pretty new to kayaking.

We are very pleased with the kayak. We can lift and slide it on and off our SRV. Also, we have no problem getting the kayak to go where we want it to go in the water. However, we bought it used when we should have bought it new. The kayak had very tiny cracks in the bottom and leaked quite a bit into the inside of the kayak. Our local kayak dealer mended it.

04-29-2013
Submitted by: LMOSend Email

I have owned a Malibu Two XL for a number of years. I use it to paddle out and kayak surf in Kailua Bay. The kayak itself is very stable and great in the ocean. Surfing is hard, as it naturally wants to go parallel to the incoming wave. Takes are hard hold on the paddle, using it as a rudder, and some tricky weight shifting, but once you figure it out, it's a total gas! Go for it!

08-21-2012
Submitted by: AlejandroSend Email

Very comfortable but... very bad polythilene. I buy one 5 months ago and the zone around back seat go down many times. My weight it's 87 kg.... no more Ocean kayak

06-03-2012
Submitted by: JBSend Email

This is a great tandem kayak. My wife and I rented one of these and I ordered one for us the same night. I purchased it initially so that my wife and I could go kayaking together, with the thought that I could go alone sometimes as well, and that really is the way it worked out. For two people, this is a stable ride and can handle open water very easily. We take it out on the bay, and can handle the biggest of waves or wakes. It really met our needs as a couple.

I've also taken it out often on my own. It will handle any size wave or wake, and is very stable. In very windy conditions on my own, it can be a handful, but it's not really challenging - it just takes a while to get to your destination. All in all, I'm very happy with this kayak.

01-13-2012
Submitted by: Bern RosadoSend Email

I own 4 XL's they are the best in this category. I use them for a rental business for one year now in Puerto Rico. No one has ever turnover yet. I use them on lakes or in open water thru waves. They are strong kayaks and very easy to use, not so good in windy conditions. Good resistant material but not the thickest. For recreational purposes this would be the best thing. If someone leaves you waiting, just move the seat to the center and you have fun solo! Sit on top kayaks are good for beginners. I would recommend to buy one with hatch. My 4 XL's have a year of almost daily use now and they are still reliable and worth 700$ still. My personal opinion this is Cadillac of the kayaks.

12-13-2011

My family rented a Malibu 2XL this weekend for a trip to Flat Island and then off to the Mokulele Islands. I am a large man and wife is medium sized. This boat is extremely stable with 2 people. When playing around with 3 people, it became very tipsy. I suggest only planning on going with 2 adults and if you are small framed, a small child as a third. While paddling single the 2XL was slow but very maneuverable. A good surprise.

This boat had none of the fun of a Scrambler, but it will get you from A to B well. I would have preferred 2 Scramblers over renting this boat. I would never own this boat.

10-05-2011
Submitted by: ArturSend Email

Took today the Two XL for a sea ride, with one inexperienced paddler on the front. I use to ride my Frenzy in the same sea spot,- the Frenzy behaves nicely on the open sea and on the waves - and I was astonished also with the performance and good behavior of the Malibu Two XL: very easy to go to the sea, even with medium waves to pass - very stable and as it is heavier and longer than the Frenzy is not so prone to capsize when hitting and passing the waves, leaving the beach. And it is great when surfing, quite amazing. Fast enough , very responsive, it's a great boat!

08-29-2011

I am 54, I sail since I was 9 years old and I am a fan of almost all water sports (sailing, windsurfing, water skiing, etc.)

I found myself involved in kayaking merely by chance and I just loved it. So I decided, after a deep search in the net and a close inspection on several kayaks - hull design, safety, equipment, and sturdiness - to buy the Malibu Two XL - fully equipped with two hatches, centre oval tank well, and seats - and I am more than satisfied.

It's stable - although not as stable as the RTM Ocean Duo (the kayak that converted me to the sport) it holds very well against wind , keeping a straight line easily, it's "almost" dry inside, even without the scupper plugs on it with two + 1 people aboard, very well built.

It's a great kayak for lakes and rivers, and when paddling alone on the centre seat position, it is very easy to paddle and navigate. Never tried it on sea.

Yesterday I went on a 4 hours ride on a river with a lady friend of mine (it was the first time for her) - on a moderate windy day and strong tides - and we had no problems whatsoever to reach our goal. We have made 9 nautical miles in rough conditions but the Malibu held very well.

Although it is not a heavy kayak with 28 kilos, due to its 4,10 metres it's not easy to put it on the top of my car alone, but I managed well, mainly because I hold it on the top of my head, resting my head oh the rubber lid of the centre oval hatch. But even so, it's a little hardly handy, mainly due to it's length.

I am considering very strongly to buy the little "Frenzy", just for sea kayaking on solo, mainly for fun.

All in all, the Malibu Two XL it's a great kayak in it's own category.

06-15-2009
Submitted by: HenrySend Email

Just purchased a Malibu 2XL from REI and am very satisfied with this boat. I am 6ft 2 inches, weigh 240lbs and was looking for a high volume boat that I could take my two dogs out on and occasionally use as a tandem. I also needed it to be light enough for me to carry by myself. 61 lbs is light for a tandem with as much volume as this boat has. It feels like an honest 61 lbs to me and I can get it up over my head and carry it with no problem; in fact it feels just a tad heavier than my Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT.

I glued some closed cell foam to the top of the oval hatch so I could rest it on my head when carrying it. This foam also helps when popping it up like you would with a canoe to get it up over your head. google Homer Stringer technique for lifting and carrying a canoe.

Today I took it out with a friend who weighs 170 lbs and my dog that weighs 55 lbs and it was very stable with over 460 lbs in it. I sat in the back and my butt didn't get wet with the scuppers open. My friends butt got just a little wet. We were using the Ocean Kayak seats that came with the boat and have little thickness on the bottoms. Had my friend had a thicker seat, say at least an inch, he would have stayed dry.

The boat has plenty of volume. Ocean Kayak really did there homework to design such a do everything boat like the Malibu 2XL. Also the boat tracks well even with an inexperienced paddler in the front. I am glad I bought the boat and would highly recommend this versatile sit-on-top. I used to have an Ocean Kayak Malibu the 12 foot tandem model and the XL boat is light years ahead of that design; much roomier and not that much heavier to carry. I will be using it to fish most of the time. It is so stable I will be able to take my 120lb Rottweiler out when I go night fishing.

After 30 years of kayaking and several boats: Wilderness System, Islander, Old Town, and Ocean Kayak; I can say with confidence, this boat is a definite keeper.

12-21-2008
Submitted by: DavidSend Email

Awesome kayak. I've fitted mine with the center hatch, & an electric trolling motor. I can take my wife, child, heaps of stuff below deck & still paddle or motor if my wife gives up very easily. This is my first kayak & I'm surprised how easy it is to paddle solo.

10-07-2008
Submitted by: Graham WSend Email

Very good kayak. Had it for 9 months now and use it in the UK. Handles well solo, though not as fast as the longer thinner yaks. Great with two on, and you can sit in the center position with a small child at the front to be nearer to help them rather than in the back seat if need be, so the seating is versatile. Great for fishing, very stable. Not capsized yet! Fitted screw down hatches for better leak proofing and a full anchor trolley system. Great choice for a family. All my kids have caught fish off it and my wife enjoys paddling it too. Handles surf reasonably well, keeping straight where some others may be flipped round beam on to the waves.

08-04-2008

Others here have raved over this boat, I will not pile on much more. It has been great for me with 1, 2, or 3 people onboard (the third was a small child). I was actually quite surprised how well it performed as a single. Tracking is good, it handles well in varying conditions, and there is plenty of room to pile on stuff for the day.

Paid just over $600 for a package with scupper plugs and so-so Daytripper paddles at L.L. Bean outlet, can't beat that for the amount of boat we got. A few dings and shallow scrapes marked the boat, but just cosmetic. My only complaint is the weight, but this is a long and wide boat, not much OC can do about that. I just have to paddle places where I can get close to the water.

07-22-2008
Submitted by: JALSend Email

We bought our Malibu 2XL 6 months ago, we choose it because of its stability. My wife is insecure on the water and felt most comfortable in the Malibu than any other kayak we tried out and we tried out a lot of kayaks. Even with our 4 year old granddaughter with us the yak feels stable, tracks well and moves easy thru the water. My wife has felt so secure in the Malibu 2XL that in a few months we will be buying two single Ocean Kayaks, a Sidekick and a Scrambler 11. We will be keeping the tandem Malibu for the time we wish to be together or for friends that go with us. All in all the Malibu 2XL is a great kayak, very stable, easy to fish out of and easy to handle.

06-19-2008
Submitted by: SteveSend Email

Traded in my 16 foot tandem Cabo and bought the Malibu XL. The boat is 60 pounds compared with 80. It turns easier than the Cabo is more stable and doesn't get turned as easy in the wind. I use the boat in the ocean in Bradley Beach, NJ and enjoy wave riding, snorkeling and touring. The boat handled the surf well, both tandem and single from the center seat. The seats are relatively comfortable and the paddle holders are a nice addition. I like the fact that it does not come with a hatch, less leaking. The seats are separated far enough that if you are out of cadence, your paddles will not hit each. The built in keel helps the boat track nicely coming down the face of a wave. I would recommend this boat. John at Jersey Paddler was very helpful in choosing the right kayak for my needs.

01-03-2008

I purchased two of these boats and it was a great purchase, the boat has exceeded expectations, and when we needed a warranty replacement of one of the boats, Ocean Kayak replaced it without question and quickly. Both Stan and I at Idaho River Sports were so impressed with their handling of the warranty and this alone should be a reason to buy from Ocean Kayak! Stan said it was the best warranty experience he has ever had.

But the kayak is the best reason. It tracks so well and is easier to use than you might expect. It is stable through rapids, maneuverable, and more fun because our teenagers could use the boat as a dive platform and climb back in without effort, wherever they wanted.

We use the boat now on rivers and lakes for summer camping and touring but purchased it to use for scuba diving on coastal trips. The Malibu Two was more recommended for this activity and we have yet to test the XL in surf but I am confident that it was the better choice based on everything we have experienced with the boat so far. The boat rides high enough out of the water while loaded and is still fast. The scuba diving test will be another reason to write another review about this fantastic boat.

12-10-2007
Submitted by: NeilSend Email

I would buy it again even if I were single.
I purchased the Malibu Two XL because I like to dive, fish and explore and have a family. I let the kids play king of the kayak throwing each other off it when anchored in shallow bays and they never tip it over. I had read a good deal about it being either heavy or slow but haven't found that to be the case. The first time I put it on the water with my eleven-year old in the front, he took off on me and paddled easily all around the Caribbean while I tried to catch him.

My wife (5'2") and my 11 year old can put it on the roof of the Windstar since I changed my roof rack system to a simple flat bar (which also holds her Ocean Kayak Venus 11). It was quite a while before they let me paddle it alone, but now that I have had it a year and have fished and free dived from it by myself I find it fast and maneuverable even with one paddler causing me to make the comment I started with.

It is one of the big kayaks out there and at 60 lbs not the lightest, but what you get for the weight and size is certainly worth it. You can do more with more kayak. I can't tell you how many people I run into on the water say they should have gotten one like I am paddling.

05-30-2007

Terrific.
After much research, I decided on the Malibu Two XL, hoping to find a kayak appropriate for me to use as a single or as a tandem with my wife, 11-year old daughter, or all three of us. I could not be happier. We just took the kayak out on Lake Champlain, where we plan to use it often. Even with all three of us aboard in 20 mph winds, the boat was stable and tracked well, even when I was the only one paddling. Both my eleven year old and my wife, complete novices, were instantly hooked. When I took it out myself, using the center seat, it was terrific. It is a bit heavy - I'm a strong guy and it was all I could do to carry it. Get a cart if you have to handle this by yourself unless you have another adult handy. You do get a little wet, but I suggest an upgrade to a higher quality seat, which will help. Very comfortable, even with all three of us, and I am six feet tall and weigh 220.

10-04-2006

The Malibu Two XL is a great tandem kayak. My wife and I are new to kayaking and bought the Malibu II because it was so easy to get into and out of. The sit in kayaks that we looked at were cramped especially for the rear paddler. To our surprise, this kayak really performs! It is extremely easy to move through the water and is very stable. Even when paddled solo this kayak is easy to move in the water.

Since it is a sit on top you will get wet when you use it. The reason that I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 is due to its weight out of the water. It can be a little hard to car top even with two people.

05-25-2006

I've had the Malibu Two XL out on the water 8 times now, and I am impressed. It is dry, stable, tracks well, and fast enough for my purposes. I would recommend a seat upgrade for comfort. I am 6'1" and still have plenty of leg room with my wife in front. It is heavy,,, if you are cartopping on a SUV it might take both of you to get it loaded. I've taken it out solo using the center seat, and it did fine in that capacity also. Can haul lots of gear on board as a solo with the extra room. Oveall, very pleased.

08-03-2005

This is a great kayak. Most of the criticism that I've read about it elsewhere stems from the fact that first and foremost, this is a tandem kayak...Of course it's long and not the most responsive thing on the water, but it's a lot of fun!

I paddled solo, without the center adapter, and it was great. The only problem, and what may sway me to purchase the Sidekick instead, is that I noticed it would turn counter-clock wise when hit with wind off the water. This was not a major concern really, but it is worth noting. Otherwise, for a wide, long, and otherwise heavy boat, it moves along rather effortlessly solo.

08-27-2004
Submitted by: JeffDSend Email

I have been kayaking for about three months now with my Mailbu Two XL. This is Ocean Kayak's new model for this year. I live in upstate New York so most of my paddling experience has been on flat water lakes and rivers. I bought this model for one reason - it is stable and faster than the Malibu Two. The added length gives tandem paddlers more room and greater speed. I have had two adults and a small child on a flat water lake and it tracked and moved very well. I paddle solo often and I have not experienced any tracking problems, even in wind and going upstream on a river that had a strong current. In my area, the knock on this kayak from others is speed. I have made a lot of skeptics into believers now that they have seen this is not a barge. And since the local rivers are very high, a lot of them are envious of the stability I have. In order to paddle solo, you should buy the $12 center seat adaptor because moving up a foot or so means it tracks better in the wind and is a lot dryer ride. If your looking for a kayak to go into the ocean, everything I said above applies If you only use this on lakes and rivers and thought another brands was more suited for that purpose, don't listen to the skeptics. This is a great kayak for an individual or family on any body of water. I plan on keeping this one for many years.