Product Reviews > Kayaks > Mainstream Kayak > Biscayne Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Biscayne Kayak by Mainstream Kayak

Rated: 8.2/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

06-07-2006
Submitted by: JoeSend Email

Great price, pretty good boat. Tracks well for no rudder. Is reasonably fast. The seat is HORRIBLE. Please email me with any information on replacement seats. Outside of that, I paddle 3 times a week 6 months out of the year and I am satisfied.

04-11-2006

I love this boat. It's actually produced from the Dagger Savannah mold. I replaced the seat back immediately, as the stock one is awful. It's a great boat for the $$.

10-24-2004
Submitted by: Dave

Here's the way I see it's a nice touring kayak for the $. I got it at Dicks sporting goods end of season sale, nothing can beat this deal...I bought this thing and 3 other kayaks but I use this the most. It has compartments front & rear, Deck rigging, padded seat,and foot pegs, takes 2' chop no problem. I don't find the back of seat to be a problem like some others but it does turn into the wind quite a bit & the hatches leak a little.

09-14-2004

I just bought a Biscayne at a blowout sale at a regional sporting goods store. I had actually been looking at Current Designs and Perception to upgrade from my Mainstram Patriot 12.5'. But when I saw the sale price ($299) I impulse purchased. I just got back from paddling the bays of Ocean City, NJ and can't be happier. The boat is pretty quick, and tracks very well. It did turn into the wind quite a bit, but that is typical of paddling without a rudder in a longer boat. I was able to compensate with my stroke very easily.

The seat back is VERY uncomfortable for me, and I noticed that in the store right away. I will be replacing it with an anatomical seat back (about $60) immediately. I am not sure why Mainstream left the seat back all plastic, while the seat bottom has the a padded layer attached. It is brutal.

The size of the cockpit is nice. There are a variety of sprayskirts (both rec and touring) to fit it.

The hatches are expansive, but I did notice some leakage. About a cup in each after a few hours in the bay. I am not sure if it is due to the seal in the bulkheads, or if it is coming in through the lids. I am going to seal the bulkheads with epoxy and see what happens. I decided to take it in the ocean as well (sans sprayskirt and rudder). Dumb idea, but I got excited. It took the breaking waves beautifully, and tracked perfectly on the way out. I stayed out a few minutes and then rode a wave in. It responded sluggishly to paddle ruddering, as expected due to it's length, and I was quickly tossed. This is mostly due to my inexperience in the ocean, but it was really fun anyway.

Now for the cool part. I called Mainstream and found that Perception, Dagger and Mainstream are all sister companies, and the Biscayne is an exact copy of the discontinued Dagger Savannah. So, the Savannah has an optional rudder. Therefore you can put a rudder on the Biscayne. They did warn me that it would void the warranty immediately, but it is only a year anyway. I plan on adding a SealLine SmartTrack Rudder system next season and tackle that ocean again.

06-15-2004
Submitted by: JJFSend Email

First time kayaker myself, but was able to put 26 miles of Lake Ontario under my belt first time out. Found this boat to be very comfortable and fast. Tracking was acceptable, but a rudder would be nice. Saw calm waters and later three footers breaking over the bow. What a blast. Nice looking kayak and easy to handle. Bought at sports store at $190.00 off MSLP. Cost me $525.00 tax included, plus the paddle and Life Vest. Not bad price to pay to enter a new sport. I would definitely recommend this Mainstream Biscayne kayak.

Piragis Northwoods: