Product Reviews > Accessories > Bending Branches BB Special Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Bending Branches BB Special

Rated: 9.43/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

Bending Branches Logo
See Products from Bending Branches in the Buyers' Guide!
Bending Branches in the Buyers' Guide:
  • Glide Touring
  • Recreation Kayak Paddles

07-02-2014
Submitted by: PaulSend Email

I have had my Bending Branches Bent Shaft, paddle for about 15 years now. It is a dramatic improvement over the typical metal/plastic standard canoe paddle. Its NOT cold to the touch like the alum shaft paddles. It's VERY light weight which make a huge difference on an all day trip. The BENT SHAFT is the ONLY way to GO! People look at it and think I got a defective paddle! The extra power you get from a bent shaft is amazing!

The fit an finish is also something to brag about. When not actually on the water, I keep it wrapped in a denim bag made from an old pair of blue jeans. After 15 years of pretty hard use, it still looks like new! The tip end is protected by a heavy duty rock guard which is great. You can't go wrong with a Bending Branches Bent shaft paddle!

08-05-2013
Submitted by: ckyraSend Email

I never go paddling without my BB Special paddle. I bought it several years ago because my paddling/camping buddies all had them. I take my on short paddles and have used my paddle on 20+ mile days. It works. My buddies have all move on to fancier Bending Branches paddles, i.e. paddles with more bends in the shaft. I am happy with mine. I probably have close to a thousand miles of paddling on it. I too will upgrade when the finish on this one wears out.

07-24-2013

Bought one of these paddles as an upgrade from the free with purchase paddles that came with my canoe. I couldn't believe the difference starting with just how comfortable this paddle was in my hands. The feel of the paddle was very natural in the water, almost like an extension of my arm. The wife managed to wrestle it away from me for a few minutes on the first outing with it, needless to say she went out and bought herself one before our next outing.

07-23-2013

Purchased this paddle to push my OT Pack. I read reviews hailing the bent shaft for solo paddling. I do enjoy it when trying to cruise along but don't typically like the control. The paddle is lighter than my other paddles which I do enjoy.

It does compliment my quiver but I don't always take it out with me. I would use this paddle on lakes and ponds but prefer the straight shaft or double blade for rivers and moving water.

05-18-2006

I've had a 54" bent BB Special for a couple years, and I really wish I would've discovered this wonderful paddle earlier. It's my first bent paddle, but I like it so much that I don't plan to upgrade it anytime soon. I find I can get a lot more power out of J strokes and forward strokes with the BB Spec. as compared to our previous lowend plastic & aluminum paddles. This paddle is light and actually fun to use. So far, it's proved plenty durable, even when pushing off rocks, or getting sunk in mud & sand. I would highly recommend this beautiful and functional paddle to anyone that wants a major step up from the cheap low end paddles that many folks start out with. It's at it's best on lakes and slow rivers, but can be used effectively up to class II. I use this paddle with a royalex Old Town Penobscot 16, and it's capable of really propelling that boat around with the right technique. My paddling partner uses a Bending Branches straight 54" Sun Shadow when she sits in the bow, and together, these paddles make a great team.

02-10-2005

I have 2 BB specials, a Performer and a Crusier Plus. All are excellent paddles that are very well finished. For the money I don't think there is a paddle that can compete with the BB special. The durability is excellent I (and friends) have used all of them over the course of 5 years. I have only had to refinish one paddle. I use them mostly for paddling in the boundary waters and the St. Croix River. The performer has a large grip witch I really like and in my opinion is worth the extra money as is the glass coated cruiser plus for those really hard on their paddles. You can't go wrong with these paddles. I gave a 9 only because I believe nothing is perfect, but these paddles are close.

05-26-2004

The BB Special paddle makes flatwater cruising a breeze. The bent shaft design allows you to get a lot more blade in the water and gives a much smoother stroke than typical paddles. In addition, the paddle incorporates traditional grips and woods with an innovative and effective implementation. Overall, this paddle gives you speed, performance and quality while reducing the amount of work it takes to get the boat moving. This is a must own for lake paddlers everywhere.