Product Reviews > Accessories > Werner Ikelos kayak paddle Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Werner Ikelos kayak paddle

Rated: 9.81/10 Based On: 16 Reviews

Werner Paddles Logo
See Products from Werner Paddles in the Buyers' Guide!
Werner Paddles in the Buyers' Guide:
  • Canoe/Raft/Outrigger
  • Fishing Paddles

10-03-2014
Submitted by: RBRSend Email

We have been paddling with some regularity for the past few years and each found that our lower end Werner paddles seemed to exhibit too much flex in the blade. So began the search for a replacement. After as much research as possible I settled on a Werner Ikelos bent-shaft custom made to 230cm because of my height. Wow! What a difference. It seems like all paddle effort goes right into the stroke. No flex at all. 'And for what it's worth - the thing seems weightless.
Worthwhile!

09-05-2014

I have a 220cm carbon bent-shaft paddle which is an excellent and top quality choice. It is extremely light weight, foam-cored and very stiff. This translates into easy, long range paddling with excellent stroke efficiency and is very easy on the arms and body.
I thoroughly recommend this paddle to all levels of experience.

04-04-2014

The Werner Ikelos is my favorite paddle of all time. I tried several others including the Werner Calliste and still feel the Ikelos is the best paddle for me. The ergonomically shaped shaft really does make a difference. The weight of the paddle is perfect. I paddle a 215cm which is a bit long for my size (5'2") but for the variety of conditions I paddle in and wanting to only carry one paddle, this is it. I paddle a 20\' Necky Looksha 2 around the ocean in the Ft. DeSoto to Caledesi Island area and whether I'm in surf, rough water, or a calm day, the paddle has never let me down. I didn't believe others when they kept saying I had a great boat, now when was I going to get a great paddle? Once I had the right paddle, it made a big difference. Try one, and you'll agree!

01-21-2013

The Werner Ikelos natural bend paddle is the absolute best paddle I have used, ever. I own and have owned several brands of paddles, and the Werner Ikelos comes out hands down the best paddle for a high angle paddler using an FSK boat. You can't go wrong with this paddle!

03-30-2012

Like all their Performance Core paddles, the Werner Ikelos is comprised of outer layers of carbon molded over an interior core of lightweight, rigid foam, creating a paddle with less swing weight and more stiffness than conventional solid construction.

The Ikelos' knifelike edge and light weight offers a clean entry and hookup when grabbing that first handful of water, and a smooth stability throughout the stroke, with no tendency to flutter when under a strong pull. With its big barndoor blades, the Ikelos feels solid even when bracing in rough water. Despite its large surface area and solid plant, the Ikelos does not place undue strain on the shoulders or arms when driven with good paddling form and torso rotation, even on touring days of many miles with a loaded boat. And, with their buoyant foam-cores and broad surface area, the blades practically set themselves up for a roll.

I've paddled the Ikelos for two full seasons now, in a variety of conditions. My only minor complaint involves Werner's Adjustable Ferrule System. It's a slick feature, but both of my Werner paddles which utilize this fine-tolerance mechanism have experienced intermittent problems with jamming in the open position, allowing the paddle to slip apart and refusing to remain together. Despite avid care to keep the ferrule free of dirt, sand, and the lubricants which attract them, this has happened to me and a couple of friends, the only cure being to blast the recessed device with a garden hose and pry it loose with a long screwdriver. If this minor problem persists, I'll consider calling or sending the paddle in for Werner's highly-respected customer service.

Hits: light weight, quality construction, smooth hydrodynamics, solid on-the-water feel Misses: intermittent jamming of adjustable ferrule system

For a more comprehensive version of this product review, please visit:
www.AquaDynology.com/Product-Review-Werner-Ikelos.html

09-07-2010

Ok. How do I explain this... In short, the paddle lives up to it's name, assistant to god of dreams. My equipment: Necky 14 foot composite manitou. Day touring. My experience: intermediate with some skillz (a "z" is need for the plural for added gangsta-ness). My speed over one mile with this paddle: avg 6.47 mph (yeah, that's real fast). Overall ability to complete technical strokes: 11 of 10. (yeah, 11 is over 10). Connecting stroke: seamless, stress free, can barely tell left/entered water. Bracing: phenomenal. Very buoyant, very powerful kick. Roll: tricky if you fight the paddle, really easy if you don't. Looks: this paddle is beautiful. Nothing more to say about that. Price: High. I found mine new at O2 gear shop online for less than three hundred. It was a sale. Anything else: Yeah, if you love to yak, get this paddle. You will love yakin' even more.

11-18-2009
Submitted by: CRBSend Email

I used a Werner Ikelos 210 bentshaft for three months paddling S.E. Alaska. I am 5'10", I have grown up with manual labor, though I would be able to handle the strain of such large blades. I found that after the third week I was starting to have slight shoulder and wrist trouble, which I attributed to the excessive blade dimensions. I acquired a Werner Athena 215 bent small shaft midtrip, (special ordered and shipped to Petersburg, AK) which I used as a primary paddle. Its small blade size and small shaft saved me. My shoulder and wrist troubles went away quickly, I started out by saving the Ikelos for larger seas, higher winds, etc. Gradually I worked back into a routine of including the larger paddle more and more. It worked, and all troubles with the Ikelos went away.

Hands down the smoothest bite and largest catch you'll ever find. This paddle cuts through the water so sweetly and putting the paddle in the water locks it in place. How you pull is up to you. Incredibly light and strong, worth every single penny. Anyone who has ever spent any time pulling water with something this light, strong and smooth can't go backwards.

11-15-2009

I have really enjoyed my Ikelos paddle. Lots of paddle surface area for power. The weight, feel, and stiffness of the paddle suits my needs. I use the paddle for workouts and for touring. I like having the extra paddle power when needed and I find no issue with fatigue over a long day of paddling. I gave the paddle a 9 rating because of the cost which I found a bit high - although worth it.

07-05-2008

I thought this blade might be too much surface but it's not. The dihedral shape lets enough water flow off the sides so that it pulls though the water no matter how hard of soft you pull on it. The advantages of this design far outweigh the disadvantages. It catches just right very early, right when it hits the water. It also does well at any angle or even half submerged if you are in some really tight areas. The blades do catch more wind but the adjustable ferrule works like a dream. I also have a Lendal Kanetic S tour, which is a little small for me, but it does have a lot of catch for such a small blade. The Ikelos is my primary paddle though. It really does everything well.

05-30-2007

I have been paddling the Ikelos for about 18 months, this after using a Camano for about 9 years. When I went to the Ikelos I switched from a low to a high angle stroke, which is much more efficient. My Ikelos is a straight shaft, 210cc & I currently paddle an Avocet.

I find that the Ikelos does all things well, but it really shines when you are linking strokes. If you think it might have to much surface area for you, try a Werner Cypress (sp?). A last suggestion, once you have choosen an angle of feather, never change it. It is important to know where you blades are realative to the water surface, if you are changing your feather than this changes. The next time you go for that big brace it may not work.

10-30-2006

I purchased this paddle in April 2006 and have been very pleased with it. Initially I had speculated that this may be too much paddle for a novice but it is not. I purchased a carbon bent shaft model for no other reason than it was in inventory at the dealer and the straight shaft was not. It weighs 27 oz. and has a foam core. This paddle is advertised as suitable for a high-angle stroke which I have.

Some people on P.net have indicated that the high/low angle dichotomization of paddles is a marketing technique. I disagree and feel that the performance of this paddle is enhanced in a high-angle venue.

The paddle has a nice powerful catch. It is easy to brace with it. The ferrule system is excellent with many options for paddling angles.

10-02-2006

If you kayak regularly and always wish you could get more speed out of your boat, then you are ready to experience the Ikelos paddle. My first trip out on my somewhat sluggish fiberglass Swift Caspian Sea with the Ikelos was incredible. I went further and much faster with less fatigue than ever before. I was thinking about selling the Swift for a faster boat, but that's no longer case since I bought the Ikelos. If you invest the $425-$450 in a great paddle like this, you'll never regret it.

06-28-2006
Submitted by: beaowolfSend Email

Great, light, strong/stiff paddle, really like the new ferrule design. When paddling into 10-15 knot winds the paddle will flutter due to the wind hitting the paddle that is out of the water, adjusted the feather from 60o to 90o and the flutter went completely away. Also, use the lower hand thumb/index finger to hold the shaft firmly and that also prevents flutter. This paddle really hooks up!

12-16-2005

Truly phenomenal paddle. I was quite happy with my bent Kalliste, but wanted a bit more power for higher angle paddling. The Ikelos simply made my Looksha IV HV seem lighter? Acceleration and bracing strokes simply stronger, yet silky smooth, VERY buoyant, and despite the stiff, bent shaft, very easy on the joints.

Not quite as silent as the Kalliste, but a big improvement (and a lot easier to use) than the bulky Corryvecken. I use a 220cm...probably go with a 215 if I get a skinnier boat someday. But don't feel that you need to get a short paddle, as swing weight and friction are extremely low. I liken it to sticking a velvet knife in butter: plants firmly and the YAK moves...not the water!

09-19-2004

I have the bent-shaft carbon fibre 215 Ikelos and this is one nice paddle. Designed for the high-angled paddler, the blade gives you plenty of catch so that you get generate some serious power in your stroke. I also tried out the Corry, the Shuna, and some of their low-angle paddles and this one fit my style the best. The Shuna had too small of a blade and I felt that I wasn't using the full power of my muscles as the blade slid through the water without enough catch. Compared to the Corry, it's a little more expensive but what you do get is the foam-cored blades. This gives you a sweet buoyancy-rebound feeling when you dip your paddle in and moments later on the exit. It's almostt like it helps you finish your stroke due to the blade's buoyancy. Swing weight is light as a feather,... no, scratch that, light as air. You put this paddle on the water horizontally and watch it float, it's not floating in the water, it's floating above the water! The only downside is that this is a $400 paddle, the price of a small recreational kayak.

05-12-2004

After many years of paddling and many paddles, I can honestly say this paddle has done to improve my speed, efficency, and comfort than anything previous to it. The grip on the water is second only to my wing paddle. Due to it's design it slices cleanly out of the water. The combination of light weight and stiffness are amazing. I highly recommend it.