Product Reviews > Kayaks > Ocean Kayak > Venus 10 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Venus 10 Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Rated: 9.08/10 Based On: 13 Reviews

Venus 10 Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Length: 9' 10" - Width: 28.00" - Starting at: $599.99
See More Details about this Kayak
Ocean Kayak Logo

05-05-2010
Submitted by: MoongoddessSend Email

If I died I would want to be buried on my Venus. I cant even begin to tell the BLASTS I have had on it. I've paddled all day (8 hrs) in it, upstream & down; rode waves; snorkeled; gone up long estuarine rivers into oceans; it is like a "SPORTS CAR", it is like an extension of one's own body, and puts one A PART of the "element". I have bought 2 bigger kayaks but hate them. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Venus '10'. Its the greatest kayak I've ever used!!!

07-07-2009
Submitted by: JenniferSend Email

I'm the kind of person that tends to do a lot of research and buy "top end" items to avoid having to upgrade in the future. However, this boat (probably considered "low end") is perfect for my needs.

My primary concern was to be able to carry and car-top the boat without help. I'm 5'1" and have no upper body strength and I handle this boat easily. I paddle calm lakes/rivers and therefore don't experience much problem in the way of tracking. It's not a fast boat but its purpose is for exercise, not speed. It is stable enough for me to easy hop on/off for swimming breaks. Also I like the durable shell- as I often drag it to the water (over grass/some rocks) if there is no ramp. Also - shorter = easier to store indoors. Love it!!!

08-28-2008

Only had my Venus 11 for three days and I love it!! I am on Toledo Lake in Northern Louisiana. I have been exploring the coves and shorelines without having any problems. I have never had a kayak and I have had no problem. I was thinking I would get exercise, but it is so easy to get up speed and move about, I don't think so. I have not been able to open the 6" Cam Lock Hatch and I'm wondering if there is a special way to open it. I am 5'6" and 160 pounds and this kayak works great for me!

05-29-2007
Submitted by: BJESend Email

I love this kayak for casual paddling in protected waters, but it does not do well in strong currents and I always seem to be the one left behind, paddling constantly to keep up with those in sleeker, longer kayaks.
It is VERY stable and has kept me upright in four foot seas, but you will have a wet bottom if you do not use the scupper stoppers.
Great for freedom. One person can carry it easily. Easily carries 150 pound person of medium build and very comfortable seat rest.

03-05-2007
Submitted by: jddSend Email

Purchased a Venus 10 for my 9 year old son and a Drifter for me. While the my Drifter is totally disappointing (basically the whole cockpit and tankwell have about 2" of water in it)the Venus is great. He can handle and paddle it well. The boat is very light and pretty fast for him. I need to get him a little shorted and lighter paddle but he loved it. The only complaint is there is standing water in the footwell that won't drain out while floating. He weighs 80 lbs.

02-09-2007

It is a really sweet little boat. I would sink it outright, but my grandaughter really rips in it! I would say the paddler weight needs to be under 140# to really be enjoyed.

11-10-2006
Submitted by: Rachel ASend Email

I bought my Venus 11 as it was built for women. I have tried the Frenzy/Mambo and found it to be too wide (I kept hitting the paddle on the side). I have been out a few times in it now and love it! We have paddled in a slow flowing river and have had no problem with getting out of the way of larger vessels. It's great fun going over the waves, lots of 'Wees'. I especially liked it when I left my husband behind when just cruising (he was working hard in a Frenzy). I didn't give it a full 10 because of the weight (it's heavier than the Venus 10) and because the paddle keep took a chunk out of my finger. I find the rear storage good for just a jaunt up the local Cornish river. I was worried at first about it's stability, but I haven't fallen out yet and feel very secure even when the waves are side on.

08-04-2004

We recently purchased a Venus for my wife as an addition to our "fleet" of Hobies. Though it is light to handle and cuts on a dime, it is NOT meant for any upstream paddling thru fairly swift water. Since that is a major part of our daily exercise regimen we returned it for another Ocean Kayak Mars (which we love). Bottom line, nice light boat if you don't have to go upstream.

06-17-2004

I love the Venus, fast, stable, so much fun. My husband is 165 and loves it; he wanted to get one but I had to clue him in...it's a girl thing! He is still looking for a kayak that he likes as much as mine..he may end up with a Venus and cover up the name!

05-27-2004

I bought one for my paddling partner and it did not work out for her. I would have to warn anyone over 120# away from this cute little boat. If you are small enough, it sure looks like fun.

05-11-2004

This little boat flies! The kids fought to paddle it; I finally got to paddle it and was impressed. I'm 5'8" 160lbs and pushed it's recommended limits but it was a sweet little ride,dry,easy to handle,quiet,sturdy,made me wish they made a bigger one.perfect for anyone smaller framed, and a good looking boat also;just looked fast setting still.

05-10-2004

We bought a Venus to get the kids interested in the sport. It was a perfect match. Our daughters - 8 and 10 yrs old, can handle it well. At 35 lbs, my wife can load it up on a nice day, and head for the lake. We've taken it down the Mohigan in Ohio, on small lakes, and to the shores of Lake Michigan. It's been a play boat, surf board, and swimming platform. The handle placement makes it much easier for the kids to climb back in. It's small enough to fit inside our camper, so it makes every trip. I can't rate the performance fairly, but it's low weight rating of 175lbs hasn't kept me from trying. I would say that the kids have no trouble turning and tracking. Watching them jump off and climb back in, I would rate the stability rather high. A great boat for women and kids.

03-09-2004

Designed especially for women, easy to load and transport. Fun to paddle. Sexy little boat.