Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pygmy Boats > ArticTern High Volume Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for ArticTern High Volume Kayak by Pygmy Boats

ArticTern High Volume Kayak by Pygmy Boats

Length: 17' 0" - Width: 23.00" - Starting at: $1009.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Pygmy Boats Logo

11-03-2003
Submitted by: Reece PetersonSend Email

The Artic Tern High Volume by Pygmy is of marine plywood, fiberglass and epoxy construction.I have several years of open water and white water experience. Upon retirement last year I decided to treat myself with a winter project and built the Tern. I choose the Tern because it was a very attractive boat and it was a hard chine.Two trips up the north shore of Lake Superior to Isle Royale this year confirmed it is a great looking boat-many people told me so. It was a great project and I loved assembling the boat.

However, the thing you can't see is how wonderful the Artic Tern paddles. When I first paddled L. Superior on a windy following sea day I thought I'd like to have that rudder I'm used to. After a couple of hours I realized no rudder is needed. I love paddling this boat and to do it right you must get on the chines and heel the boat and make it carve. I've had great fun surfing with it on the UP of Michigan.

I decided I wanted the high volume because of my size 12 foot. When I ordered the boat the Pygmy folks didn't really think it necessary for that reason. I didn't want to take any chances and ordered the HV. I'm gald I did. A 2 week solo trip to Isle Royale in September showed me I had lots of room for my gear and I had room to spare.

I'm 200# and 6'tall. The higher deck was no problem paddling. I use a 92 inch Inuit paddle that I made, but,I have a breakdown paddle that works fine too. This boat rolls very nicely, either front deck or back deck. I'm sure the recessed rear deck helps with the rear deck roll. A shorter person might have trouble there.

The flater hard chine bottom feels alittle tippy initially, remined me of any flater bottom boat. The secondary stability is fantastic, whether surfing or boating rough seas or just seeing how far you can lean it before having to brace or capsize.

I love the Artic Tern-H. It looks great and I believe the multi-chine deck really sets it off from other boats of its kind.

H2O Paddles: