Product Reviews > Canoes > Hemlock Canoe Works > Nessmuk Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Nessmuk Canoe by Hemlock Canoe Works

Rated: 9.5/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

Length: 10' 6" - Width: 27.0" - Starting at: $1495.00
See More Details about this Canoe
Hemlock Canoe Works Logo

08-01-2013

This is my third summer with my Nessmuk, and I couldn't be more pleased with the way the boat handles. It had its toughest test to date when I paddled on the Niagara River on 7/28/2013 from Lewiston to Youngstown (about two hours). Winds were about 14 mph and the chop was about two feet--occasionally more, by my best estimate--with a few little whitecaps. The boat felt stable the whole time; I've learned to trust it and was tickled *bright* pink when it proved trustworthy last Sunday.

I'll add that, the first summer I had it and took it to the Adirondacks, I didn't have footrests in it; Dave Curtiss asked me to try it without it. I did; I asked him to put footrests in for the next year. That's given me a lot more power (I'm 5'3", 61, F, 138 lbs) and I was glad for every bit of power when we went out into Lake Ontario and then had to paddle upstream against the current at the mouth of the river to the launch in Youngstown. (We wanted to see the old fort built by the French in the 1600s from the lake.)

I don't like the seat. Even with a folding canvas canoe seat (sorry, don't remember manufacturer), my tush gets much wetter than those of people paddling Hornbecks. And, yes, the scratches show on the Nessmuk, which doesn't bother me, but if that bothers you,consider getting a white one (mine is dark green).
Love this boat!

08-24-2007

This little pack canoe is really fun and easy to put on and off the van. I can easily carry and put in on any shoreline of small ponds and creeks as well as the larger lakes. Being so small I thought I would ship water in bigger waves, but because of the excellent design it just goes over the tops of the waves. I always use a Crazy Creek chair in it for a comfortable back rest. Because it is so light, I tend to use it much more than my kayak. Kudos to the Hemlock team!

03-29-2006
Submitted by: Sandy TSend Email

I bought a kevlar/carbon fiber Nessmuk (14 pounds!) for my wife last summer. She loves it! Easy paddling on flat water - tracks well, and manageable in light winds. It is so light that launching & portaging are no longer a chore, even for our aging boomer bodies. Finish and woodwork are gorgeous -- what a beautiful little canoe! There is no backrest, and the thwart gets uncomfortable on longer trips, so added a backband from Placid Boatworks.

09-08-2003

This review is preliminary and based on a very short paddle. I have a Hornbeck Lost Pond canoe that my wife paddled and enjoyed very much. So much so that we decided to get one for her. But, Hornbeck Boats is 6 hours away. Dave Curtis (Hemlock Canoe works) is about 30 minutes south of us, and his Nessmuk looked very similar. We test paddled a Nessmuk on Canadice Lake.... flat water.

Hemlock Nessmuk v. Hornbeck Lost Pond: Nessmuk is 2-3" narrower than Lost Pond... most noticable while sitting in the boat. Nessmuk has less initial stability than Hornbeck, but is probably somewhat more efficient. Both boats are quick and easy-paddling. Both track surprisingly well for such a short boat. It's easy to reach hull speed limit with both boats.... start getting a lot of gurgling and bow waves without much additional increase in speed. We test paddled the Nessmuk on flat water with little wind, but have found the Lost Pond to be surprisingly seaworthy and easy to handle in rougher water and higher winds; we expect the same from the Nessmuk. Seating in Lost Pond is comfortable 3" sculpted foam with padded backrest on thwart. In comparison, Nessmuk is more spartan... simple 1" foam pad on bottom, perhaps providing more options for seating. General workmanship on Nessmuk appears superior (Lost Pond is good).... wood trim is less "blocky" and has a finer, more tapered appearance. Lost Pond has a skin coat which shows all fabric edges, layers, and overlaps; the Nessmuk uses a pigmented gel coat which conceals these, but the fabric that shows seems more uniform. Dave Curtis has a reputation for well-built canoes of high craftsmanship -- certainly visible here. No painter loops on Nessmuk; Lost Pond has these. Nessmuk is more expensive ($100). Nessmuk has floatation tanks built into bow and stern; Lost Pond relies on large foam seat to provide floatation.

I discussed my test paddle with Dave Curtis afterwards, and think he generally agreed with my impressions.

I like my Lost Pond, but we liked the performance and craftsmanship of the Nessmuk enough to buy one for my wife.

Silverfish