Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pelican International > Wave Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Wave Kayak by Pelican International

Rated: 7.53/10 Based On: 17 Reviews

12-17-2011

This is my first kayak, I bought it on a lark for $100 used on CL. My first trip I took it on a 4 mile / 1 hr. trip down the lower Kern River, it was fantastic. Mine has the skeg and goes straight when you want it to, and steers easily. The paddle holder hooks did bite my right hand a couple of times, so I cut the hooks off when I got home. I assume I will have to upgrade if I progress to bigger rapids someday, but this was a great purchase for me.

05-19-2008

Best kayak for the money. Fits in my Toyota Matrix. Very stable. Legs can go inside or on top. Good for any occasion.

03-28-2008
Submitted by: heygibbSend Email

My review is coming after several years of use, and my 7 was reached by averaging my before and after reviews below.
As a cheap, starter yak, I'd give it a 9. It's stable, very maneuverable, easy to haul around and a great learning tool for youngsters, as well as, for myself. The seat needs added padding to make it comfortable. Other than that, I like it fine. I rigged it for fishing and still use it myself on solo fishing trips to local lakes, creeks and rivers.

Having kayaked for several years now, it's apparent this yak lacks the speed needed to keep up with a group on a long river trip. I can keep up and I get a good work out doing so, but my kids can't. So as an overall kayak, I'd rate it a 5 if you consider its long trip limitations.

05-07-2007
Submitted by: KNunezSend Email

The Pelican Wave is a good buy. It turns easily and tracks pretty well. Durability, cost and size made it the right kayak for me. I use it to get a good workout in the local lakes. Probably very good for fishing lakes. Very easy to move forward ,backward, or pull off 180 or even 360 turns almost in place.

02-26-2007

The wave is great for the price. It has been beaten (the RAM-X is awsome)up in rivers, the Puget Sound, and the Pacific Ocean. I would recommend a spray skirt for oceans, it does great in the surf (wave riding). One last thing, this cup holder is ruthless-it has never spilled a beverage!

06-05-2006
Submitted by: JOESend Email

The wave is my first kayak, so Im not an expert,I bought it because it fits in my truck and its cheap. Im satisfied with it, the lower back does start to hurt after an hour or so though.

06-01-2006

A sport 94 sit in kayak, ramX construcion / the same as the wave model. ( dont buy one unles you specify that you want the seat back & the scag with it, in writing! becuse after you've paid for it , thay dont know what your talking about !

04-11-2006
Submitted by: JWSend Email

This Kayak is perfect for what it is: a cheap, easy to paddle "toy" kayak. My 7-year old loves it (can handle it quite well alone), and I use it for fly fishing on flat water too. I can even place my 5-year-old on my lap while fishing. My only complaint is the seat; my butt falls asleep after about 45 min. A pad helps.

11-01-2005

I bought this kayak for my 11-year old son for one reason... It was relatively cheap ($229 at Pep Boys, including the paddle.) It has exceeded all expectations. He used it all summer on lakes and flatwater rivers, and loves it. It is a little slower than my Pelican Perception (which is not a very fast boat in itself), and has a weird seat which is almost a cross between a sit-on-top & a sit-in. Otherwise, it is very stable, very light, and quite agile. I don't think you can get a better boat for the money. (I'm actually not sure you can get any boat for the money.)

09-10-2005

Bought it for my sons, Great boat for my 12 year old, quick, responsive, good in the river and flat water. Great boat for light beginners.

09-08-2005

My husband surprised me with two Pelican Waves last spring. I was looking at Perception Sundance and Current Designs Kestrel, but these fit his price range better. I still plan to "upgrade" to one of the aforementioned kayaks for myself, but we have had a GREAT time with the Waves this summer. We own a rental cabin business on Torch Lake in Upper Michigan, and our clients have really enjoyed using them. Kids/people of all ages. Very stable and swift. Did buy lighter paddles from LL Bean for family use, and yes, the paddle holder hooks do get in the way until you learn to avoid them. Also bought seat pads from LL Bean. For a small recreational kayak, they are a great deal. Have paddled in three-foot waves and it does very well.

06-22-2005
Submitted by: SKSend Email

For a first time kayak - it's great. Not something I'd keep forever, but for a beginner pretty cool. I went out (before looking under the seat) without the skeg and found it tracked poorly. Once the skeg was installed, BINGO - great riding. I remember paddling and thinking, "I'm going to have to quit my job!" Great for exercise and getting a little sun. I did have to get new/better paddles because I didn't quite trust the ones it came with. Still, I keep the other pair in the boat with me at all times as a back up. Before buying, sit in the boat to make sure it fits you and see if you can find a comfortable position. I had to purchase some foam to help support my back properly. Still...for the money you can't go wrong. Great way to get into kayaking and learning the ropes.

05-30-2005
Submitted by: CRSend Email

Just purchased the Wave 9'4" and am very disappointed as with every stroke with the paddle on the right site I hit the awkward positioned paddle holder hook and hurt myself! This is poorly designed and unsafe. Image you hurt yourself so often until you can not paddle anymore home. Called Pelican's customer service: “they are all made the same and she can not do anything about it. I approved this when I purchased the kayak in the store! It is even not covered under warranty, but I can cut the hooks off, but will loose the warranty, but should use silicon to cover the holes!”

They approved and customers have to live with that, return or repair from Pelican not offered. Now I have to return it to Zellers within 30 days and I will do, never will buy a Pelican kayak again, only trouble and inconsiderate, poor service.

02-11-2005
Submitted by: bjonesSend Email

Wife/father bought me this boat. Shorter than I would have selected and looked uncomfortable. BUT..I'm pretty happy with it. It came with a skeg and it IS needed...tracks poorly with out it. Don't understand the self-drain hole in front as water would shed either way. I use in rivers, lakes and have taken it out in the Gulf when calm. No problems.

08-04-2004

I recently bought a pelican wave it is easy to manuver and pretty fast. it is comfortable on long trips too.

10-30-2003

I have 2 Pelican Waves and my kids use them on lakes and slow rivers. They work pretty good and are not hard to control. They will turn sharply to avoid objectd. They are very tough. You have to be careful with over paddling and the dual tracking system will work.

06-16-2003
Submitted by: Rory DohertySend Email

Really a good kayak for class 1 to 3 rivers and great for lakes or bays/sounds. Good price too!

Rendezvous River Sports