Product Reviews > Accessories > TracRac Truck Rack System Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for TracRac Truck Rack System

Rated: 9.71/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

Research Roof Racks and Trailers in the Buyers' Guide!
Roof Racks and Trailers
View Roof Racks and Trailers in Buyers' Guide

08-10-2014

I just bought one of these to carry my kayak on my truck. It seems sturdy and well designed and held 2 kayaks at 75 MPH 120 mile trip just recently. I kayak a lot in saltwater and I liked that these are coated aluminum so that the salt air won't corrode them. 2 kayaks sit side by side in my Malone seawings and my recently purchased Malone Track Rac kayak saddles. I also strapped an 8" PVC pipe under the rack to carry fishing rods in. Everything stayed secure. The only downside is that the Crossbars are a little too wide for some accessories such as the Malone Seawings that I already had, but I managed to adapt my Seawings to fit the rack. Overall this is a great looking rack and can be easily moved between the 2 pickups my family owns.

08-08-2012
Submitted by: BstegSend Email

This is a nice rack. It's well made, strong, and goes well with my truck. The only reason it's 9 instead of a 10 is because the lack of accessories available for it. I had to adapt some Malone saddles to the channel in the trac rac using carriage bolts and wing nuts. This works ok, but I'd like to use some J-racks and I can't figure out how to adapt them w/o looking all ghetto.

I have this on a 2008 Dodge ram and my tandem kayak fits good, both upright and flipped over on its deck. However my buddies Old Town 15' canoe hits the top of my cab b/c the canoe turns down more on the ends of it. 3" foam under the front of the canoe gives the needed clearance.

Installation was straight forward. The bolts are really hard to tighten. This is due to the fact that they are galvanized. I used a cordless drill on torque setting with an allen head bit. This made it much easier.

I bought this at a big box home improvement store for around $300 but I see they have since stopped selling them there. Online I see them for sale for upwards of $500. I would not recommend this product at this price for the main purpose of paddle boat transport. For that kinda money I'd look to the Yakima Outdoorsman, Thule Xporter, or something compatible with popular kayak transport accessories.

03-06-2006
Submitted by: dfSend Email

First rate rack. I have had instant response and amazing service when I had a slight problem with the box, and when I lost a part. On both occasions they took care of the problem gratis.

03-01-2005
Submitted by: DustySend Email

This is a great rack! I use the Trac Rac on my Toyota Tacoma for carrying everything from a friend's canoe to ladders to lumber. After a year, it's been hassle-free.

Although they advertise the Trac Rac as being easy to remove, that isn't quite the case. It takes a few minutes even with the right tools. I use a socket wrench in a ratchet which makes it a bit quicker, but don't plan on removing these puppies on a whim. As it is, the bolts make them harder to steal, which was one of my initial concerns.

About the only thing I don't like (the 9 instead of 10) is the hit you take in gas mileage. I figure on my truck it's about 4 or 5%, mostly from increased wind resistance and not weight. It seems to me they could change the shapes of their extrusions to make improvements in this area, but what do I know - I'm not an aerodynamics engineer.

BTW, I got mine new on Ebay for $350. Buy them, you won't be sorry!

11-30-2004
Submitted by: livetofishSend Email

The rack is definitely heavy duty. I have carried Grumman 17 ft canoe and my kayak at the same time in heavy cross winds and it did not budge. It has been used for everything from 2x4s to 28ft ladders and it continues to be in place. Only downside, I cannot see how to add a truck bed topper with this rack on.

02-11-2004

I have had a TracRac system on my truck for about a year. I have a 1977 Chevy C-10 longbed. I bought this rack because I needed to support a 23' Huki Outrigger canoe. The canoe really needed to be supported with rails no less than 4', no more than 6', and ideally 5' apart. The TracRac allows me to adjust this with one hand. I attached the Yakima Mako Saddles directly to the channel on the top of the tracrac rails. I did this by slightly grinding the stainless carriage bolts that came with the saddles, so that they had a "T" shaped head instead of round. It works flawlessly.

Strangely, one of my side rails started turning a dark purple (from the original black). I called and they immediately offered to send me a new pair of side rails, so I can say customer service is fantastic.

You don't see alot of these around (yet!), but I still have the locking knobs, and would recommend the locking knobs if you get the TracBox (sliding tool box that slides on third inside rail).

Installation is simple. Took me an hour or two and I was taking my sweet time and torquing all bolts exactly. I re-tightened a few months later and the beast hasn't moved a bit.

Just as further testimony, I had to drive 2.5 hours to pick up my canoe (having already installed the tracrac and Mako saddles, but never testing them). I strapped the canoe on and headed back home....it just happened to be the day a tornado came through the midstate. I was going about 65 on the interstate with ~70 mph crosswinds (orange barrels flying across road) and the rack and 23' canoe held up perfectly. I didn't even have the canoe tied down in the front or back. I cannot imagine a better system.

Also, if the price is turning you off (I paid $600 with free shipping off the internet), keep in mind that it's more of an investment, seeing as if I buy a new Chevy/Toyota, etc, all I will have to buy again is the side rails (as they are slightly different than the rails for my 1977). All other components would work fine on the new truck.

I can't even tell you how many guys at the local hardware store and at the lake have asked me about the rack.

06-12-2003

I purchased these pick-up truck overhead racks in 2002. I had already gone through two other sets; one home made and another rack system "wanna-be" (JEMB/Mirage).

I have been extremely pleased with this system; it's heavy duty, can hold a heavy load (1000 lbs. as per the manufacturer) and NO DRILLING is required to install it on most trucks. The installation can take a little time a first but its worth it. It can be installed directly on the side truck rails, with or without an over-the-rail bedliner. I installed it on an over-the rail bedliner, although I modifed Trac Rac's instructions in this area. I used a dremel type tool to cut custom holes over the stack pockets with no danmage to the truck bed itself and minimal removal to the plastic bedliner.

If you purchase the racks, know that:1.Customer service is very helpful and should be contacted. 2. There are some options on the sizes for the upright pieces and lengths to the crossbars. (2 sizes on each part.) It is worth thinking about, in regard to how high you would like your boats to be above the truck cab roof. Customer service can help in this regard.

One downside-They are pricey. My system consists of a rail & rack system. I also purchased additional basetrack tiedowns (4) and locking knobs (2) to prevent theft. The total price was approximately $625.00 and this was with discounts from a local paddling show. Your price may be higher. :>(

Overall, these are an excellent rack system and I would recommend them to anyone.