Product Reviews > Kayaks > Wilderness Systems > Tarpon 100 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Tarpon 100 Kayak by Wilderness Systems

Rated: 9.65/10 Based On: 52 Reviews

Tarpon 100 Kayak by Wilderness Systems

Length: 10' 0" - Width: 30.50" - Starting at: $709.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Wilderness Systems Logo

04-08-2014

Everything I hoped it would be an more. Tracks great, I have decked it out "supreme" for my angling needs, up to an including a fish finder. Highly recommended product.

08-31-2013

A full month with this vessel! I LOVE it!!!! This last weekend I took it out in some better water. There was actually some CFS going on in the bends. The Tarpon 100 (I haven't named her yet) handled like a dream. I watched 2 canoes and one Ride 115 tip, my kayak went through flawlessly!!!! I didn't think that the 10' would be acceptable, but I was wrong. I cannot endorse this kayak enough. Sturdy, stout and can do the moves!!

08-24-2013

I kinda looked down on sit-on-top kayaks as overgrown bath tub toys but the Tarpon 100 changed my mind! We are not into running rapids or jumping waterfalls - we just enjoy being out on the water: lake, river, bay. The Tarpon 100 has the "feel" of a sit-in yak with all the advantages of a sit-on. It's slightly beamy which gives it added stability and it tracks well even with no skeg. Whoever designed it really spent time thinking about how people actually use a kayak - the things you want are right at fingertip.

08-07-2013

Tracks well, very stable, most comfortable seat, lots of room, storage is great, railing systems is awesome to customize as needed for additional racks, fishing accessories, more tie downs, camera mounting... very easy to get in and out of, very comfortable, can be used for different situations like lake, river, ocean, not just a one situation kayak, easy to lift and put in truck or on racks, miss kayaking when haven't been in it for a while that's how much we love these kayaks!

08-03-2013

Overall this is a very good kayak. It is stable and comfortable to paddle. It is very maneuverable. Its drawback is it is rather slow and when paddled fast there is a lot of water noise from bow wake. I would rather not have molded foot rests. It is a good boat for just messing around a lake or small river. I did have fun surfing this kayak in 1-2ft waves at the beach but wouldn't attempt in large waves without a lot of practice.

07-29-2013
Submitted by: KirbySend Email

What an awesome kayak. I purchased mine two weeks ago and have spent more time in the water in these last 14 days than the last year. I lost my 12 footer in a fire (long story). This vessel is truly sea worthy!! I have been on my local rivers and it handles so well. I can endorse this 100%, and the price point is perfect for the Ferrari of the river!

07-27-2013

Ten stars says it all...this kayak does EVERYTHING.
I live in St Pete Florida and kayak in a lot of different situations (bay, river, inlets, swamps, and the Gulf of Mexico). The T100 handles every condition really well. It has enough cargo space for a camping trip, but is small and light enough (around 50 pounds) to be easily hauled anywhere at a moments notice. I tend to be pretty abusive of the thing as well, and it takes everything I give it no problem.

Pros: Incredible adjustable seat (super comfy for hours), water bottle/gear holders on each side of the seat, perfect design and functionality in diverse conditions, light weight, ideal "all purpose" sit-upon kayak. Also, this thing is STABLE...I have tried tipping it and it's almost impossible under normal circumstances.

Cons: molded cupholder down by your feet (fairly useless for that purpose), that's really my only complaint.

I had the opportunity to try several brands of sit-upon kayaks, and the Tarpon design is just pure perfection. I have a LOT of hours in this boat and it never ceases to amaze me.

07-25-2013

Being new to kayaks, I researched and researched... I wanted an "all around" kayak. I ended up choosing this one (would have gone one step higher if I could have afforded) as the seats looked and reviewed to be the best in comfort which was a high priority for me. The other was the stability just wide enough to be very stable. All the rest, adjustable feet rests, a system on the kayak to build and add on as needed, the tracking is very good and it can go in ocean, lake or river..which is fine with me.
I didn't want to get stuck with just a river runner or a long thin racer .....just an all around fun and convenient and comfortable kayak...which I fish from by the way too!! And I have back issues so this seat is awesome! Lots of storage too.

07-24-2013

This is a fun play-boat! Easy for anyone to handle in & out of the water. This boat offers stability for the novice, while offering great maneuverability for the more experienced paddler. This is a great boat for lakes/rivers, or in the shallows of the ocean.

07-20-2013
Submitted by: Gary ClarkeSend Email

My first experiment with Kayaks has been the SOT Wilderness Systems "Tarpon 100". This kayak has a 10 foot length and a 30.5 inch width. At 55 lbs it's little heavy for one person to carry without a cart. It is recommended for flat water, bays, lakes, ponds and surf. I have used it for all the above with addition of the Truckee river, and The American river. Those are light class I and II rivers.

My experience has been positive, and I would recommend this this kayak for beginners and intermediate riders. The flip-up "hard" seat is very comfortable; even on long trips. There are two storage compartments, one small for wallets, glasses and personal items. And a large compartment to store gear/ lunch, extra clothing etc. Bow and stern, and side handles make this kayak easy to move and transport.

Overall I would recommend this kayak. Although it's list price is at $699.00 You can usually find it around $550/599 at the end of season.

07-17-2013

Purchased my Tarpon 100 over a year ago and still get excited to get into it every weekend. Not just a plastic tub like some other brands. A lot of thought went into the design of this boat. Bigger Coleman Party Stacker hard shell cooler fits perfectly in the back. Had small issue with a rubber net tearing. Called Wilderness Systems and had a free one within a week. Excellent company to deal with.

The boat has good glide and excellent stability. If you do flip it, some water will get in the hatches but not a lot. I highly recommend this boat for any experience level paddler.

03-23-2013
Submitted by: G BSend Email

A great little kayak that, although a little slow, tracks well and is extremely stable. The seat gets maximum points.....highly adjustable and extended stints in the chair are no issue. In the surf the little boat tends to want to dive and broach on a swell and take water over the nose into a wave but all this is mostly eliminated with trimming of the kayak. It soon becomes obvious that keeping the weight bias well to the rear is the key in the surf. Plugging the rear scuppers and filling the well with water is a quick on-the-spot fix.

The real beauty of this 'yak is it's versatility. It's as capable in tight water as it is in the open. I've no hesitation going to sea on short range fishing sorties when weather permits and it really excels in creek and estuary exploration.

This boat is a lot of fun and quality is excellent. Would I buy again? Absolutely!

07-05-2012
Submitted by:

I suffer from arthritis and found I could no longer get in and out of my sit-in kayak. Rather than give up kayaking with my husband, we purchased the Tarpon 100. I absolutely love it!!! Even when I have to push myself to get off of it, I find I can do so without tipping the kayak. Getting onto the top is even easier. I thought the bigger size would be harder to paddle around or less stable, but have no problem what so ever. So you arthritis sufferers out there, don't give up on kayaking. The Tarpon 100 has extended my ability to continue to enjoy paddling around.

07-03-2012

I have a Tarpon 140, 120, and recently picked up a 100 for FW use. It is more manueverable and lighter than then 120 & 140, with a similar layout and relatively big stern tankwell which I like. My 4 1/2 y.o. Can sit comfortably in the stern tankwell and troll while I paddle. I highly recommend Yak Attack RAM mount screwballs vs. using the slidetrax plates if you plan on using RAM accessories. The 2009 and younger hulls are better due to the Phase 3 seating, scuppered seatwell, and slidetrax system.
Love my Tarpons!

06-15-2012
Submitted by: LCSend Email

This my very first kayak. I've read many reviews about this and other boats. This boat met my needs as a fisherman. I only fish lakes in California. I don't carry to much equipment and my lake has a lot of trees, coves and it's not a large body of water. This boat is able to go between the trees, fit in tight spaces and rides smoothly. It tracks well and does not require much effort to handle. It's not fast but with proper paddling skills, you can get to a spot fast. I love the slidetrax on the boat. You can add accessories without drilling a hole. The seat is comfy and the foot pegs are adjustable. This is a kayak so you will get a little wet.

Overall, great boat and I'm hooked on Tarpon and WS.

03-12-2012
Submitted by: jocoSend Email

I have been in kayak fishing for the past 6 years now and still own many yaks... I am a big man (6 feet and 280 pound). My wife bought herself a Tarpon 100 2 years ago... the new edition... WOW, I simply love it. I have a Tarpon 140 (older version) and a Ocean Trident 15 SOT... but love more her Tarpon 100. I like it so much we just bought one more Tarpon 100 today... love those little tank... they go everywhere.

It's dry... drier then my Tarpon 140 and Trident... I simply love that small but effective Tarpon 100... by the way, the seat is very nice.

01-06-2012
Submitted by: T.G.Send Email

I have owned the Tarpon 100 for 7 months now. I have been out paddling approximately 30 times, and although I am still not very good (balancing etc.) I have only fallen off once, which was my first time out. The 100 is a very stable boat. I'm 6'2" tall and 97 kg, but the 100 copes well. It's not the fastest boat but it does track well. The hatches are not water tight so you need to store things in dry bags. All attachments are well made and sturdy. Storage is good with enough space to carry enough camping gear for a couple of nights.

This S.O.T. is great fun and I highly recommend it. But if you have the storage space, I'd recommend the Tarpon 120

10-26-2011

I just got the T-100 last weekend and I have been out only once but this thing is a tank. Its the perfect kayak for anything anyone would want to do

10-12-2011
Submitted by: C.L.Send Email

I bought this kayak in August and the more I use it the more I love it. It's stability truly amazes me. I feel confident taking this kayak into rougher water due to the fact that I have encountered several situations when I thought that it might flip over but did not. This Kayak is perfect for beginner kayakers!

08-17-2011
Submitted by: DHSend Email

I purchased two Tarpon 100's about 3 weeks ago from REI and my wife and I have taken them out several times now to local lakes. So far I am VERY happy with my purchase. I use a wheelchair and was looking for a stable yak that would be easy for me to get in and out of while being light enough for my wife and I to load and unload from our utility trailer. These boats worked out very well.

The boats are very maneuverable in tight places track well and make a pretty good platform for wildlife photography. I now feel confident taking my DSLR and associated gear out on the water with me. (in a pelican case when not in use of course....). I highly recommend the Tarpon 100.

08-15-2011
Submitted by: CorinneSend Email

I am a beginner Kayaker and I felt comfortable and confident taking this kayak down a river. This kayak is incredibly stable in rougher water and turns effortlessly. Seating is very comfortable.

07-27-2011

This SOT is a smaller kayak, great for tall people. I am 6'4", 220 lbs and this thing fits me like a glove. With the foot pegs removed, I am able to extend my legs fully. Taking it out on the Bay, it tracks like a breeze. Though, I could see tracking being a problem in really choppy water.

If you are looking for a beginner SOT recreational kayak, this kayak is well worth the extra cash. It has many convenient features and with the dual rail system, room for expansion; great for the angler that wants to customize. Also, fits pretty well in the bed of my Ridgeline (tailgate down) with only a couple feet sticking out.

I am giving it a 9/10 because I haven't put it through the test of time. However, 10/10 for starting out.

03-03-2011

My first 10' SOT, the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 is way more costly than several other 10' SOTs such as the Elie Horizon 100 and Pelican Apex 100 but the Tarpon 100 (in absolute terms) is superior and I think it is the ultimate 10' SOT.

There are probably 100 or more reasons I love 10' SOTs (10 foot sit-on-top kayaks). Too many to list here but if you try one you'll wonder why you never did sooner. Don't let any more time slip by; go and get a 10' SOT and BE HAPPY.

11-05-2010
Submitted by: BMTSend Email

I needed a light weight "grab and go" yak for my fleet of fishing yaks. After having used the Redfish 10 and OK Prowler 11, I acquired a Tarpon 100. I have now fished it in some decent chop and wind in south Louisiana bays and it has become my favorite small yak to chase redfish and specks.

The Tarpon 100 tracks straighter than any other short yak I have paddled. The new seat lacks much padding, but it has so many adjustments that I found I could fish five or more hours without my butt going numb on me. The stability is very good; not a floating pier like my larger yaks, but very decent indeed. The speed will not set any records, but it is actually much faster that I expected for a short yak, about the same as my Prowler 13 when loaded with fishing gear. Short fishing rods (5'6") will fit in the hatch by the seat if pointed to the stern.

It is a dry yak with the scupper plugs in. It tracks exceptionally well and even has some decent glide to it which is rare for such a short yak. It did not weathervane in stronger winds. And it fits easily in the bed of my Tacoma truck. Easy to load and unload even in windy conditions. If you are looking for a shorter grab and go yak, the Tarpon 100 is very hard to beat. I am 6 feet tall and weight 190 pounds at 64 years of youth. I am pretty well fit for a fossil so more youthful or female paddlers will find the Tarpon 100 ideal for play or fishing. I previously had the older model of Tarpon 100 and the new one is considerably better in my opinion. Given its price and forgiving paddling characteristics, it is now very high on my list of very good fishing yaks.

10-11-2010
Submitted by: J WSend Email

Having looked at a number of Kayaks I settled on this craft it is versatile, stability is outstanding I even fish by sitting off the side Also I have made a fitting for a trolling motor which is handy. Loads of room for stuff in the holds The only thing I found negative was the weight when dragging up the beach with the rear trolley, however I have made a trolley that fits the front as well and stores away in the hold problem solved.An all round nice Kayak well done Wilderness

03-17-2010
Submitted by: Md

Bought mine in 2007 and its been fantastic. used it on rivers and in the ocean and apart from a problem with bigger surf its been a man for all seasons. Does not surf well though just gets me in and out of the breakers. great for coastal touring and days away from a crowded beach. if you want a comfortable ride, the chance to fish from your boat and reliable flotation ...get on e.

02-24-2010

I bought my tarpon 100 the spring of 2009 and used in the summer of 2009 about 10 times. The reason I gave it 8 because my kayak has a manufacturers defect- it's nose is bent to one side a little and because of that it is drifting to the right a little. So I have to put more energy in my right hand all the time. My advice to a new buyer to flip it over and check if it is 100% symmetrical, and also if it does not have any shipping cuts underneath.

Other than that it is a very nice kayak, it is stable, the seat is the best of the other kayaks I have tried, I like the adjustable footrest. I have done everything with it, went fishing, surfing, paddled for a couple miles straight, took my 2 year daughter for a ride on my lap...it is a perfect all around kayak.

If it wasn't for the defect, I would have given it 10. I like it better than the sit-inside I also have, and I am planning to sell the sit-inside and buy a tarpon 120 as a second kayak.

02-12-2010

I've chosen this little yak for 2 reasons: limited storage space (I live in a condo) and the amazing capacity for a 10 feet boat (I weigh 280 pounds). At first, I was reluctant to buy a SOT. I was looking to get a Pelican Sound. The salesperson at kayak shop warned me that an overloaded kayak may result in very poor performance and higher risk of instability in choppy waters. So, i finally chose the "B" plan and bought the T-100. And that was a good choice.

I've taken it on small rivers, lakes and even on the St-Laurence River. Its 2 closed hatches + open storage space in the back even allows for short camping trips. It is very stable in choppy waters. I never even got closed of turning over.

Pros and cons

Pros:
  • Amazing capacity (325 pounds)
  • Easy access
  • Track well
  • Very stable in choppy waters
  • Comfortable seating
  • Lots of storage
  • Reasonable price
  • Can be stored in small sheds.

Cons:

• A little bit slow. You'll be disappointed if you expect same performances as a 15ft sea kayak.
  • Since it's a SOT, legs are exposed to sun, water and mosquitoes. You may want to get a wet suit for colder temperature.

11-19-2009
Submitted by: IBStrollinSend Email

The wife and I bought a pair of 2009 Tarpon 100 in Lime Green and yellow after trying numerous friends kayaks, both sit-inside and SOT, in Jan 2009. We decided on the Tarpons because of the many good reviews on this site and because of adjustable seat, Orbix hatches, adjustable footbraces and tankwell size for a 10' boat compared to the 2008 model.

We have mostly used them in Canaveral National Seashore, but have also tossed them in the back of the truck and gone to other locals such as Cracker Creek, Rose Bay and Alexandria State Park. In all cases they have been very stable, give a dry ride and have been comfortable to paddle for hours on end. We use them as recreational kayaks, and are really out to enjoy nature and go for kayak rides with friends.

No they are not the fastest yaks out there. If you want speed, get something longer and narrower. But if you want a stable, comfortable, dry ride, I recommend you look at these small kayaks.

05-26-2009
Submitted by: kathieSend Email

We needed another boat for visiting relatives so we bought a 2008 model Tarpon 100. A great boat made even better with the new extremely comfortable seat. Everything else seems to be pretty much the same as our 2005 yak: high quality workmanship ,wonderful stability, same straight tracking and the same ease of entry. I don't know about speed, it has little importance to us, but I've always enjoyed our original Tarpon 100 and look forward to many years of safe, comfortable kayaking with our 2009 model

04-24-2009

I just bought a 2009 wilderness systems tarpon 100. I debated back and forth if I should get a kayak or a canoe. After doing some research on the tarpon 100 I decided it would be the best bet. It has two really nice storage hatches and plenty of room in the back for a couple of dry bags and a really comfortable seat. I have not been able to put it on the water yet, but plan to this weekend. But until then it looks really good sitting in my living room floor.

03-16-2009
Submitted by: jjdog79Send Email

Just bought this one today after renting this model and 4 others... the Tarpon 100 is definitely the way to go for fishing in the Indian River area

03-11-2009
Submitted by: KathieSend Email

I have been kayaking in Central Florida for about 9 years, have owned 7 kayaks and the Tarpon 100 is by far my favorite boat. We take our boats in the ocean as well as the river and the Tarpon always proves itself to be stable, responsive and easy to paddle. I also like the size, fits almost everyone and light enough for me to load in a pick-up truck by myself. If I were going to buy another boat or own just one boat it would be the Wilderness Tarpon 100

10-08-2008
Submitted by: R.J. PocevichSend Email

I live on the Gulf of Mexico, and when a hurricane is sneaking by I take my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 and hit the waves. This year we were surfing 6 to 8 ft waves, without those silly thigh straps. Bent the #%*& outta my paddle, but my Tarpon 100 came through smiling. For intercoastal, bay, or ocean, You just can`t top this Tarpon!!!

08-27-2008
Submitted by: TJRSend Email

Just spent a few hours yesterday on our new Tarpon 100's. Bought one for each of us, wife and I, a few weeks ago but just got out yesterday for a few hours. Have tried kayaking before on many borrowed kayaks including a tandem (don't do that!). Not really knowing what we were looking for, we decided on the features for price in comparing with others, got SO much mixed info when shopping, that we were totally confused.

I think these are great boats for what we do, just casual touring and sightseeing. We plan to carry on our boat with us, so when on the hook we can tour around the creeks and waterways. They are very stable, easy to paddle, keep us relatively dry and handle with ease. Have a couple of compartments and rack on back to carry things along. They are a little heavy for 10 footers, but may account for stability and tracking?

So far I would rate them a solid 10 for what we want.

06-10-2008
Submitted by: NewSend Email

I am new to yaking. I tried sit-in yak's and hated them, very unstable. I got this one to fish from and it is very stable. I can sit across it. I fish creeks but mostly the new river and have been through several class 2's and 3's with no problem. If you are looking for a cheaper fishing yak then look no more.

04-28-2008
Submitted by: mcbSend Email

My wife and I purchased 2 Tarpons at the end of the season last year. Great boats! Tough, rugged, great for multi-use paddling. We've had them on flat water, several rivers, and have used them as swim platforms. My wife is rather long-legged and would probably be better served with an adjustable foot support rather than the molded ones. If she puts her feet straight out, she can't get much paddling leverage. If she puts her feet on the next closest support, her knees get in the way of the paddle. It's best to do a thorough checkout before purchasing, but all in all, we're very satisfied.

04-07-2008
Submitted by: eranSend Email

this is my first SOT kayak. I bought it because it was heavier then the rest that I saw. The hull is very strong, heavy...
High quality kayak! very stable in 2 meters seas, quite fast. tracks well. For a 10 foot kayak this is very good. As a boat owner, I see the hull shape and construction to be like a small offshore boat, deep, strong, stable.

It is a fast kayak for a SOT that is 3 meters long. Every boat or kayak has a maximum speed which depends on hull length, this kayak is 3 meters so the maximum speed is not like one that is 4 meters.

I love this kayak... by the way, it is very good looking as well.

01-21-2008

My wife picked up a Tarpon 100 as her new boat last summer and loves it. I was not impressed. As you pick up speed, you hit the wall. The blasted thing just won't seem to go but so fast, and it sure wasn't fast enough for me. It also doesn't surf worth a crap in whitewater, another reason to leave this one at the canoe store and buy something else.

09-24-2007
Submitted by: TonySend Email

I picked up my Tarpon 100 this morning,installed a pair of thigh straps and took it out on Lake Michigan. Conditions were: wind 15 mph and waves 1-2 feet. The boat is very stable, tracks well, and is very maneuverable. It is not the fastest boat on the lake, but I didn't expect it to be. I bought the boat primarily for days when the wave heights permit surfing, I think it will be a good all purpose boat for the type of kayaking I do. The molded footrests will take a bit of getting used to, and there is always a little bit of water in the very bottom of the footrest area. I give the boat 10 out of 10 because it met or exceeded my expectations.

07-31-2006
Submitted by: KPVSend Email

I bought a T-100 about a month ago and have used it on the James River in Richmond, VA and in the surf on Isle of Palms, SC. I agree with previous reviews of the tendency to nosedive in heavy surf. I loosened the seat back and leaned back when catching a wave and had many great rides in. As for fishing in the river, it's very stable and easy to fish from. I added a scotty rod holder in the center position and have purchased scupper plugs for fishing in the river. I love it and would recommend it highly.

06-28-2006
Submitted by: JdogSend Email

Thought I would do a review for anyone looking to buy this boat to surf. I'm 5'10" 190lbs. This is a great boat for riding waves! Gets up to speed and catches waves very well, and while its too big to really carve up the wave, it will turn and trim down the line nicely! Punches through really well going out, too. Super fun small wave boat up to about 5 feet.

06-08-2006
Submitted by: Andrew GunesberkSend Email

After reading all the reviews on this site, decided to go with the Tarpon 100. Got a red and a yellow one, very nice looking kayaks! Also opted for the 230 cm Carlisle Magic Glass paddles. Have used them mostly on lakes. Amazing performance, stability, maneuverability. Simply love them. The kids had a blast. With these amazing paddles they move easily without effort. After 2 hours of paddling with this combination felt no fatigue! Storage space is more than our needs. The other nice part is that the seat does not get wet even in 8-10 knot winds. Highly recommended.

10-03-2005

I LOVE THIS KAYAK!! I have tried numerous sot kayaks and finally have found the perfect one. I almost went with the tarpon 120, but decided that 60 pounds might be a little much for me if Iím by myself. Glad I went with the 100. I can get up small creeks with this kayak, where the 120 would be too long. It tracks great, I can load and unload by myself (5'2", 160# female), and it has plenty of built in amenities. I talked to someone else who has a 100 and they've used it in surf and had loads of fun, so Iím looking forward to giving it a try. I kayak mostly small creeks and lakes. This kayak turns fine, and never has any hull slap. Itís very quiet - i like to sneak up on the wildlife. and the other extra special bonus is that i always have a dry butt when paddling on flat water. NOW THAT'S A REAL BONUS!! Nuff said. Great yak!!

07-21-2005

I have been paddling for a while, now. I own a Perception Sundance 9.5 which I really like. However, out on the ocean, I feel insecure in that little boat. I recently purchased a Tarpon 100 for my ocean excursions, and I am impressed with it's quality and durability. It's not as fast as the Perception, but fast enough and tracks well. I am about 6 feet and 200 lbs. and find it comfortable. Since I own a Mustang convertible, I have been limited to smaller kayaks that I can carry between the seats (and overhang off the trunk a bit). Took it off Dana Point last weekend in some pretty choppy surf and never once felt I might capsize. I felt so confident that I listened to my mp3 player the whole time without fear of getting wet. Fairly light, cool hatches, nice Yak.

06-09-2005
Submitted by: Sam SouhamiSend Email

I recently purchased an Ocean Kayak SideKick Which also reviewed here. I like that boat when I take out my grandson. I wanted something a bit smaller for quick after work paddles, I am 58 6' 240 lbs, I have been kayaking since 1989. I have had WS kayaks before, the quality is always great. This boat is a great all around kayak as others have mentioned. It tracks very well for a small yak and is quick enough. It is relatively dry even for someone my size. I love the color I got Mystic Blue. I have gotten several compliments :-). I kayak mostly on rivers and lakes around Austin TX. I also plan on taking both the Ocean Kayak Sidekick and this boat to the Gulf of Mexico next month. Ocean review to follow.

11-14-2004
Submitted by: Eric RaitsSend Email

I got turned on to this kayak by a knowledgeable and experienced sales person and went by his recommendation and my gut feeling. Several weeks of paddling have resulted in nothing but delight. I can find nothing wrong with this boat and am going to give it to my girlfriend and buy the Tarpon 120 for myself so we can do some mini expeditions. It's stable and relatively quick, tracks well and the quality is high in every aspect. I fitted a trolling motor to it as an experiment. The motor mount is three cedar 1x4s glued together and is attached to the boat using 1 1/4 dowels fitted into two scupper holes. The mount is light and simple. The boat performed well under power. I bought it for a photography platform but now plan to use it for fishing in Biscayne Bay as well. We both love her.

08-04-2004

I am 58 y.o. and new this year to kayaking. After looking at several boats, I puchased a Tarpon 100 (Wilderness Systems) for myself and a Venus (Ocean Kayak) for my wife. The tarpon 100 tracks well, moves well, is very stable, and looks great (red). I am 5'10' and weigh 175 pounds. With just me in the boat, it is completely dry. My wife (5'2' and 100 pounds) can sit comfortably in front of me. This works surprisingly well. This boat is a little heavy but there is a lot of boat here. We haul both boats in the back of our Bronco. I have yet to find anything about the Tarpon 100 that I don't like. I rate it a 10 and recommend it to anyone in search of a great multipurpose kayak. This boat is a lot of fun!

06-28-2004
Submitted by: Bryan McDonaldSend Email

I bought two Tarpon 100's for my wife and I in Dec 03. I am 6'1" 235lbs and this little kayak handles my weight with no problem. In fact it is extremely stable for a person my size. I use it in the surf and this is the only time that I ever get fliped, but every kayak I have ever owned gets fliped in the surf. I have done class two rapids with it and it handled awsome for not being a whitewater kayak. I use it in the Chesepeake Bay for fishing With no concern of fliping . It can get mighty rough on the bay. It is fairly quick a tracks nice for a 10 foot boat. We are very very pleased with these kayaks. We have several other kayaks made by Wilderness System and the are all quality kayaks. Looking to purchase a Tarpon 140 this summer. This is one outstanding all around kayak and you can't go wrong buying one , especialy for the price.

10-20-2003
Submitted by: andreiSend Email

The Tarpon 100 is a fantastic all-purpose kayak. I took it for long trips in the Florida marshes, in the Intercoastal river and, of course, in the ocean. This is a compromise boat, meaning that it is not the best for any *one* purpose: you will find faster river kayaks and better surf kayaks, but if you are interested in an all-in-one, that's it. It is short, reasonably light, very stable, but not sluggish at all, in handles well in the surf and it comes with two well-designed luggage compartments (total weight capacity is 325lbs.). One of its nicest features it the back rest which is fixed to the kayak itself. Not only is it cheaper (no need to by some backrest), but it is far more comfortable (I am a 6 feet 2, 220 pounds person with back problems - so this really matters to me). The kayak has well-designed and located straps (to hold on to or to stap a paddle). Finally, for the quality one gets, the boat is really cheap (about 450$). I have yet to find a flaw in this great little kayak.

09-24-2003
Submitted by: stlSend Email

Great 10' that tracks well in ocean or flat water. I am 5'10" 180lbs. Have skin dived in first reef line off beach (about 1/2 mile offshore) and fished intercoastal (rigged with swivel pole holder in front center - easy reach forward). Stable but not to stand. Reaching aft for cooler /live shrimp bucket is OK. Have had 3 kids paddle in calm water so very bouyant/ testimony to stability. Not very good as ocean surfer. Has tendancy to nose plow and flip on the break. Light 1-2'max surf fun. Tarpon 12' would be better for taller or heavier types. The 10' is lighter and very easy to load on Expedition roof rack or just slide in cabin w/ seats down. Would rate a 10 if front storage was easier to use(prefer a conatiner w/ cargo net similar to rear instead of covered storage since I am a 2-3 hr user and not planning on camping)

06-12-2003

The Tarpon 100 SOT is a great lil kayak. It is somewhat of a special purpose vehicle, however. It tracks well for a 10 foot boat. It tracks similarly to a Loon 111 and the speed is very similar to the Loon 111 as well, but the Loon is a tad faster. The kayak is extremely stable and makes for a great fishing platform. The boat is extremely maneuverable, which is a bit surprising, due to it tracking so well. The area behind the seat is almost perfectly flat, which makes a great place to mount recessed rod holders and/or anchor cleats. The rear tankwell accommadates a milk crate, which is very handy for stuffing with gear. My only complaint is that I wish the boat was a bit lighter. 50 pounds seems heavy for a 10 foot kayak.

Rendezvous River Sports