Product Reviews > Accessories > Lotus Designs Mildwater PFD Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Lotus Designs Mildwater PFD

Rated: 8.78/10 Based On: 9 Reviews

Research PFDs (Life Jackets) in the Buyers' Guide!
PFDs (Life Jackets)
View PFDs (Life Jackets) in Buyers' Guide

02-16-2011
Submitted by: DTSend Email

The issue with the Mildwater recall is that you lose the best PFD ever made. The recall is due to using an "natural" foam, which tends to breakdown over time. Only losing about a pound of flotation. I have owned a mildwater for over 5 years, mine still holds the 16 pounds.

07-20-2010

Product Recall!
While browsing for PFDs I accidentally found out that there was a recall on this product. Inadequate flotation to meet the USCG standard. Go to the Patagonia website for info. Apparently Patagonia bought Lotus and shut it down.
Here is the link:
www.patagonia.com/web/us/patagonia.go?slc=en_US&sct=US&assetid=7574

05-05-2006

It is the best pfd for use on a sit-on-top kayak hands down. Cool and comfortable lots of adjustments, mesh back, plenty of shoulder room.

08-27-2005
Submitted by: vickiSend Email

I bought this PFD because I wanted something that was cool in the hot weather. I love the Mildwater!! It doesn't get in my way, even with me being short. It was the 5th pfd Iíve tried, and it's a keeper. Very comfy, nice pockets, and easy to adjust.

03-02-2005
Submitted by:

I have had the Mildwater for 2 years. It is my first PFD. I can wear it all day long and never know I have it on. It is cool in summer, doesn't ride up and does not interfere with the seat back. I also like the pockets with their stretchy material and fastex buckles for securing valuables. Highly recommended.

03-15-2004

I started kayaking last summer and also purchased and Extrasport while I was demoing different boats. The Extrasport looked good but the fit was horrible inside the cockpit because of the lower back padding. I found the Mildwater and have never looked back. The lower back mesh allows your back to be directly in contact with your seat back. The only down side has nothing to do with comfort but I would prefer to have asscessory tabs on the front and back for the pockets to be bigger to hold a VHF radio. Otherwise the vest is excellent.

01-02-2004

I spend most of my time in a canoe, and switched to a Mildwater early last summer because it looked like it would be relatively cool in the summer because of the mesh back, and because the vest felt like it would be comfortable for canoe paddling. The Mildwater fit well, was noticeably cooler than my previous PFDs, and worked very well for both canoe and kayak paddling.

06-02-2003
Submitted by: Hoff

I got into Kayaking a little over a year ago, and at the time bought an Extrasport PFD. Never really minded it, but with the seat back on my Yak set up a little bit, the PFD ride high around the neck and was a bit in the way. Purchased the Mildwater this year, and will never look back. Not only is it 10x more comfy because it doesn't ride up, on a hot day I won't mind keeping it on all day because the mesh back keeps things cool. With a traditional PFD it was too tempting to lose it on those hot days...Lotus has come up with a real winner, I suspect that most every recreational boater out there will be trying to find a way to get one of these in the gear closet! Happy Paddling!

05-31-2003

I was in a search for a safe & comfortable PFD for my daughter and myself that could be used in the extreme heat of the Florida summer and came across the Mildwater by Lotus Designs. It is extremely comfortable and much cooler than anything that I have worn before. The Mildwater has a mesh back that is unobtrusive and does not interfere with the seatback of either my Scupper Pro or Narpa. It can be worn with the chest buckles partially open for more ventilation and can be secured quickly. Adjustments are aeasy and there is no ride-up at all! Sizes seem to run true to a a little on the small size. This swimvest is a keeper. After I've owned it for a year or so and see how it wears over time, I may re-evaluate this PFD and give it a 10!