Product Reviews > Kayaks > Mainstream Kayak > Rhumba Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Rhumba Kayak by Mainstream Kayak

Rated: 8.25/10 Based On: 8 Reviews

08-28-2014

I purchased this at Costco as a first kayak. I used it a lot in the lakes and rivers in SE Michigan and it fared well in all kinds of conditions. The hull was quite thick (considering the cost) and it held up well with rocks & the occasional log strike. Easy to maneuver. Could have used a dry storage area, but the hull had plenty of room for dry bags.

08-01-2011

I have been paddling a ten foot Rhumba for several years. It tracks fairly well for its length, and I have reached 4.8 MPH (Hand held GPS reading) on calm water. The group I now paddle with has mostly sea kayaks, and I work very hard to keep up when they are just cruising. On the local narrow steams I like the maneuverability, and a slight tilt to the outside of a turn allows the shape of the boat to help turn. The bottom is too flat, and the chines too hard for serious edging, however. If you go very far from shore, I suggest some extra flotation.

All in all, it does what I expect for a boat in its class. I carry a spare paddle, a single blade for threading though heavy cattails and reeds in the rear deck bungies. On the down side, the seatback seems too high,, and the foot room a little tight, although the foot rests adjust easily. I am rating it high for its class, but it is not suitable for big water.

10-28-2008
Submitted by: DLWSend Email

My husband and I bought the two Mainstream kayaks several years ago at Costco. We love them. They are stable, low to the water, not easily affected by wind, slice through the water easily and track well. We have tried our friend's kayaks and like ours the best for stability and ease of maneuverability.

08-30-2004

Very nice litle boat. Extremly stable. Fast enough. Very manuevarable. Tracking is poor. Excellent for rivers, small lakes. Do not try it in open ocean: it's a challange to keep it on track with wind and waves.

08-25-2004

We have bought fourMainstream Tropic sit-on-tops at Costco for $299 with seats and paddles. We really like them, as have many friends that we have taken to various lakes. When I saw the Rhumba at Costco this spring for $330 with paddle, seat pad and skirt, I bought one and my sisters bought a second. After four years of paddling sit-on-tops, I really enjoy the comfort of the Rhumba. I especially like the greater speed of the Rhumba over the Tropic. We took two friends who had never paddled before to a nearby lake two weeks ago. They tried the Tropics and then, after gaining some confidence, tried the Rhumba. They liked it so much they bought two Mainstream Magestics. I am very favorably impressed with the quality of Mainstream boats for inexpensive recreational kayaks.

05-10-2004
Submitted by: Jason HSend Email

For only $375, even without the storage hatches or the rudder, the Mainstream Rhumba is very stable, seems to be very fast or fast enough, and very reasonable unit. Two thumbs definately up. I would like to find some accessories to buy, like a rudder or such though.

04-17-2003
Submitted by: pvigSend Email

I thought the Rhumba was too affected by the wind. My experience is limited to lake and slow moving water conditions. (lake outlets, canals) I like Mainstream kayaks. I'd give the Rhumba a 5 out of 10, but the Streak is a 10 and the Sneak is a 9.

04-16-2003

I was looking for recreational kayaks this spring and got the Rhumba at Costco. I found out that this is a renamed Dagger Bayou for the discount store market.

The kayak sits low on the water and is both stable and comfortable, even for a 6 footer. At Costco it comes with Harmony Estuary paddles, deck rigging, and a padded seat back. The boat is light for it's size and even without a storage hatch, you can pack gear in the stern in addition to the deck riggings. I noticed it tracked as well as or better than the Old Town Loon 138 or the Perception Swifty. A great recreational kayak.