Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pyranha > Surfjet305 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Surfjet305 Kayak by Pyranha

Rated: 9.25/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

07-20-2011

I loved my surfjet, more grins in the surf than I was used too. I never had so much fun riding a curl in and crashing up onto the beach. Not only was it fun in the surf it tracked well enough to use as a creek boat.

If you can find one, and want a fun non-intimidating play boat, this is a good one.

01-09-2005

I donít give any boat a ten yet here I am throwing out a 10. This boat is just plain silly fun. It goes out easily due to its length and the skeg and catches waves easily for the same reason. It is very easy to roll. The thigh straps and seat strap are comfy enough to use all day until you are dead tired and have to quit. The skeg collapses all by itself when you forget to retract it when beaching after a session. Itís not too heavy either. This isnít a dead serious surf boat but it is worth every penny for the level of casual fun it provides. It also makes a good "guest boat" at the beach and is just fun to have in the stable. I would buy it all over again. Instant fun right out of the box!

08-30-2003
Submitted by: xbolted

This is a displacement hull SOT. It does very well getting out thru the surf. If is fast and will catch most waves. It does not perform as well once on the wave as some of the flat bottom boats. It is pretty easy to roll.

02-03-2003
Submitted by: Mark TownsendSend Email

First the bad news, Customer support from Pyrahna is apparently non-existent as they have never replied to a single enquiry I have made. Secondly the price of the Yak shipped to Australia was almost twice that of a comparable substitute such as the Cobra Strike, and lastly the moulding of the poly surround that the hatch rivets to was warped causing an invisible leak that took a long time to find and repair. That said, I cannot really say enough about how well this Yak performs in the surf and even in flat water. The true whitewater hull can catch the tiniest of swells yet has a responsive rocker and the Tri-hull enables it to handle the scary waves as well without having a sharp rail that would inhibit the yawing ability. The unique retractable fin is NOT a gimmick and can be varied in depth to suit the conditions, pull it up for fast river water spins or drop it down for good tracking on the flat water or large surf, hit a rock and it slides up and drops down again automatically, it is not sharp so it cant cut you in a tumble. I am impressed at the speed and tracking of this hull in flat water as I paddle 2 kilometres down river to the Surf. Apart from the one defect mentioned on my boat the quality of manufacture is good with sturdy straps and brackets held in place with machine screws not rivets. The screw-in hatch is handy for storing my wet suit if the weather gets cool and wont pop off like a rubber one when a wave dumps on you and pressurises the hull. At only 17 Kilos (39 lbs) I can easily carry it from the car park with the thigh-strap over my shoulder and I am ancient at 52. The seat seems perfectly shaped to my backside and I have spent several hours surfing with no butt soreness or back pain, which I have experienced in other Yaks. Dont think that the Surf Jet is just a family fun boat, it is a true white water high performance Yak in a SOT configuration and is only limited by the skill of the paddler (thigh Straps are essential). There is nothing quite like this design on the market and I love it.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!