Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pygmy Boats > Osprey Triple Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Osprey Triple Kayak by Pygmy Boats

Rated: 9.86/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

Osprey Triple Kayak by Pygmy Boats

Length: 20' 0" - Width: 30.00" - Starting at: $1459.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Pygmy Boats Logo

08-10-2014
Submitted by: Peter LavalleySend Email

Life's busyness and a short summer window for building (where I live) led me to complete my Osprey Triple over a 10-year period. Building it was a positive meditation -- I thoroughly enjoyed working with wood (wire, epoxy, etc.) to create an object of beauty. My wife and daughter are now growing into paddling in a wonderfully secure craft that tracks well without a rudder and is a joy to be in together.

Though I do like working with my hands, I am not particularly skilled in the area of woodworking and I had no previous experience constructing watercraft. Materials were of high quality. Building instructions were adequate, but I think that Pygmy could improve them quite a bit by reformatting the manual and updating the content based on the questions received from builders like myself. Like many others, I recommend that builders read the construction manual several times for each and every step.

Contact with Pygmy staff, to ask questions not covered entirely in the manual, was usually helpful and informative.

I am grateful to Pygmy and John Lockwood, its founder, for providing an opportunity to create something that has history and character and that gives humans a special way to appreciate and interact with the natural world.

10-18-2010
Submitted by: BenSend Email

I'm here mostly cuz I'm bumping around kayak reviews in general, with the bad itch to build another Pygmy. I completed my triple 3 years ago. It took me way longer than the Pygmy suggested 100 hours or so to build. But, it is totally a gorgeous dream boat. It's embarrassing, all the adulation it gets. I can tell others are gawking even from their cars on the freeway.

It's wonderful that it is so light -- super easy to put on the car compared to our old canoe. It's great to be in the same boat as my wife, so if I feel like paddling more than she does, we don't get separated; we stay on the same trip! And, no concern at all for paddle clacking. Great to dump gear (or a 3rd person) in the middle cockpit. I have a rudder and consider that a must for such a long boat, and no downsides.

I have fair experience with glass/wood and mine came out right on 64lbs all up with seats and rudder. Squeegee all that excess epoxy out! (an old credit card works very well) I will soon carve out time to make either a Tern 14 to play in the waves, or the soon to be released Murrelet speed skate. Tough decision!

12-29-2009

I built the Osprey Triple 5 or 6 years ago so I could get myself and my 2 kids in the same boat. It is beautiful, rugged and versatile. Paddled solo it is much faster than a sit on top and also easy to keep up with a group of ocean kayaks as long as they're not racing. As a double it has lots of storage. With 3 people it has been good for taking out novices, older relatives who aren't so good at paddling, and allowing more friends to come along when only 2 boats fit on the roof of my car. I later built an Arctic Tern 17' and 14' which I also highly recommend. The triple still gets plenty of use though even with the kids grown and gone. Also it's a pleasure to build. I have no previous boat building experience and very little woodworking experience (I made a bookshelf once and can build a wooden fence) so I would agree with Pygmy no experience required. What is required is the ability to follow the step by step instructions. Phone support for my many questions was excellent - the people answering the phone have built Pygmy boats themselves. You will meet people with this boat - it's a real conversation piece on the car, at the dock, or on the water. A+ all around.

04-10-2007
Submitted by: Matthew BlakeSend Email

My wife and I have had for nearly a year in the San Francisco Bay, although she insists we avoid big swells (her problem, not the boat) I can tell this is the most stable kayak I've ever been in. It's fast and tracks beautifully, and gets wonderful comments EVERY time we take it out.

I've camped with it once and we took way more stuff than I thought could ever fit in a kayak. It's great having the triple even if you never put people in the middle. I got a neoprene cockpit cover for the middle, the nylon got drips that weighed it down and started a puddle.

Not sure what another reviewer meant by "fits 3 adults". I'm 6'3" and there is no way anyone is sitting in the middle seat if I'm in the rear. I'd say it's two moderate sized adults and a small adult/kid in the middle if you're doing 3 people.

As a wood boat, it does need more protection from the elements than fiberglass.

08-18-2003

The Osprey Triple is the forth boat I own from Pygmy and by far the most versatile. We build it to replace our Necky double that we had sold. We have never looked back the boat paddles great with three full sized adults. We have had three people paddling and been able to maintain a speed of five miles per hour, with two it drops to four. Sprinting speeds go as high as seven measured with GPS. The boat can be paddled as a single double or a triple and kids do great in the center cockpit.The wieght and looks would be enough reason to purchase and build, but the fact that the boat performs so well cliches it.

07-28-2003

I've paddled an Old Town 160T and that is the only reason I know what weather cocking is. The Osprey Triple just wants to go straight. I've gone 2 miles across the Hudson River with a 20 mile wind from the south and had could not belive the minimum amount of leans or adjustments required to keep her going straight. It is so stable that I can stand in it. Great winter project, remarkabley easy to build (I'm not considered handy and my family and friends were shocked to see that I was successful} the Pygmy staff was very helpful. If your a married couple and are considering a tandem the term divorce machine certainly does not apply to the Osprey. This id s great boat for beginners because of its stability and responsiveness and take my advice you won't need the rudder and by all means bring the dog.

12-05-2002
Submitted by: Tim TurnerSend Email

The Osprey Tripple is a great boat for it's size. It is great for trips for one or two people. I usually paddle the boat with our Yellow Lab and gear for a weekend. I have no problem paddling the boat solo and keeping up with the solo kayaks I paddle with. It doesnt like a tail wind but with the rudder it will track like it is on rails.

It is a strong boat and it was fun to build. I chose this boat over the double so I could solo paddle it if I needed. It has a little rocker to it so from the center cockpit the boat turns really well for a 20' boat. With two paddlers in the boat is is really a fast boat.