Product Reviews > Accessories > Keepers Footrest Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Keepers Footrest

Research Boat Accessories / Boat Outfitting in the Buyers' Guide!

09-18-2007
Submitted by: jwSend Email

If you never push on the foot braces to get that extra bit of oomph, this product may satisfy you. While on the last mile of a kayak race in Seattle one footbrace deformed enough to fall off the rail. Not broken, just too flexible to meet reliability standards. I had worried about this issue after feeling them give a bit on a few short workout paddles.

I replaced these with Sea Dog braces, also made of plastic, but quite a bit easier to adjust, and so far, with no noticeable flexion.

10-28-2002

I've had Keepers footrests in a Noah composite whitewater boat for a dozen years. I'm very tall and fairly heavy, with size 14 feet, and I'm sure I put a strain on the footpedals and rails. Yet the Keepers have not failed. The only problem I have had is that the adjustment levers are cheesy and do not inspire confidence. I would advise others to use Yakima braces if they are in doubt. I just bought two sets of Yakimas because I didn't know if they would continue to be available. However I would not want others to think that Keepers are unavoidably failure-prone. They're plastic, and that's saying enough.

10-01-2002

Peter K. is correct; Keepers are lousy footrests. I've had the exact same problems with bending rails and pegs popping off. If you want something durable, replace them with Yakimas or pad your forward bulkhead and use that. I will not use Keepers in any boat.

09-30-2002

Keepers came installed on my expensive British boat. They stink! The rails bend then the footrests seperate from the rail during a roll or frantic unassisted surf launch and there you are with only one foot rest in surf or nasty stuff. Great for recreational boaters, I'm sure. Perhaps mine are defective, but QC is not my job. Also the manufacturer has no retail presence on the web so I would have to bother the retailer and the kayak producer and it's really not happening. Yakimas are heavy and can stick, but seem to be sturdier. Lengths are available to go onto the same studs sticking out from the hull. Shame on manufacturers charging top money for sea kayaks and outfitting them with these cheap toys. Kudos to Seaward and others who do not use them. Keepers, read this, improve, and e-mail me. I would love to write you a better review and I'm sure the US can make a good lightweight footrest.