Product Reviews > Kayaks > Seaward Kayaks > Tyee Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Tyee Kayak by Seaward Kayaks

Rated: 9.5/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Tyee Kayak by Seaward Kayaks

Length: 17' 0" - Width: 24.00" - Starting at: $3875.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Seaward Kayaks Logo

07-29-2013

I bought an older 17 ft Tyee 4-5 years ago. I like this kayak a lot. Seawards customer service is great, helped me a lot when I retro fitted a new seating system.

The kayak is bomb proof. I have used it on slow rivers and quick oxbow river, now that a challenge, loaded it with 70 lbs of gear and supplies for Isle Royale. Surfed it off my beach on Lake Michigan side slipped it in big waves... great stability, bounced off rocks and trees with little effect to the hull. It is a bit tough to do a self rescue for me but a 2 man rescue is very doable. I handles chop and reflecting waves better when it has a mild load in it.

All in all a great boat.
I would recommend this kayak to medium to larger people, not suited for smaller framed people...

06-27-2013

I only rated this boat a nine because as we all know there is no perfect boat.
I have two 17' boats, a rotomolded Current Designs "Storm" and a Fiberglass Seaward Tyee. I find myself using the fiberglass Tyee almost exclusively, I just love paddling this boat.

The Seaward Tyee has a green-land upswept bow, incredible stability and a very high cargo capacity. It has a very comfortable cockpit and with the extra volume in the bow it allows for a dry ride even when heavily loaded for over night trips. The snug-fitting cockpit is easily fine-tuned. The seatback can be moved horizontally forward or backward by mounting it in either of two sets of predrilled holes, and then adjusted for tilt using a strap. The seat bottom is padded with mini-cell foam in a nylon cover.

It is a very responsive boat, it is quick and agile while tripping. It is Seaward's most stable kayak is also a quick and responsive cruiser. It is one of the most sought after kayaks by tour operators. It is a 17' boat with a long waterline means the Tyee is an excellent choice for photography or over night tripping. It is very easy to paddle and moves effortlessly through the water, handles rougher water with ease.
As a photographer, I appreciate it's stability for not only shooting images, but in keeping all my gear safe when paddling the boat.

I highly recommend the Seaward brand to anyone as the quality and service are second to none. The boat itself is very well constructed and well thought out, with it's new recessed deck fittings, flush hatches, and deck lines.

10-02-2008
Submitted by: Doug M.Send Email

I custom ordered a Tyee in 2007. It is a fiberglass version with a Yellow deck with an orange fade into a red seam. The hull is white. This is a very fast and stable boat that inspires confidence. I have gone out into water with this boat and felt safe that I would have been in trouble with my previous boat.

The amount of storage is fantastic. The seat I received with my boat was molded plastic that was bonded to the hull and could not be moved. Also it transferred the cold from the water through to the seat bottom. I contacted Seaward and learned this was something they had to do for the boats ordered through the national store I ordered through. They sent me a newer padded/molded seat that they carried at a discount. Once I installed this new seat I was completely satisfied. It is adjustable and does not transfer the cold water through to your bottom.

I highly recommend the Seaward brand to anyone as the quality and service are second to none. I would really like to try one of their Quantums in the future for something that would be more of a play boat.

12-01-2006
Submitted by: BATBEESend Email

Well, folks, I spent alot of time reading these reviews before we purchased our Seaward Kayaks in October. I hope this one helps. Please refer to my review of my wife's kayak in the Cosma category for generalities working with Seaward. They were Great! I purchased the Tyee on the recommendation of the folks at Seaward. After several extended day cruises, I think, no, know, it is the boat for me. I tried several of the Brit boats and some Current Designs, Neckys, and Impex. I was very attracted to the Impex Assateague (being that I am 75" and 230#). Now, I would like to preface this review stating that we purchased Prijon kayaks over a year ago (SeaYak for her, and Kodiak for me) and were quite smitten with them. We decided on the fiberglass models as a step up? I now think so, and rather dramatically I might add. We paddled an outfitters (CoastMountain Expeditions) Necky Teslas (unfortunately no longer available)on a BC trip in the spring and I can say that composite boats grabbed my attention during that trip. The Tyee is simply stable, fast, seaworthy extreme, fabulously finished and well thought out! Did I mention how beautiful they are? Well, hold on to your booties when you unwrap them! Looks aren't performance you say? Well, I can vouch that the two Seaward kayaks we purchased epitomize the near perfect union of function and beauty! Very comfortable to paddle and they will rocket across the water. Are they faster than our Prijons, I can't really tell since those boats are very fast, and well built also, but I sure like to paddle these. Folks, if you haven't considered these boats, I highly recommend that you do. I rate the Tyee a nine for now but it was tough not to call it a ten.

05-02-2005
Submitted by: DENNISSend Email

This is the 2005 version of the Tyee that I purchased and I am very impressed with the changes-(I owned one of the older models)-recessed fittings, a smoother entry and the addition of a chine makes this a totally different boat than before-it is fast, stable and with the chine it is more of a play boat-as usual the workmanship by Seaward is superb-with the optional carbon fiber mixed with another material makes for a 48lb boat-well done Seaward!!!!!!

09-03-2002

I just can't say enough about this kayak. The layup is perfect, the seat is comfortable, the cockpit easy to enter and exit, very stable, tracks like a dream. The exchange rate for Canadian/US dollars has brought the price down enough to make this an incredible deal.