Product Reviews > Kayaks > Necky Kayaks > Arluk III Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Arluk III Kayak by Necky Kayaks

Rated: 8.2/10 Based On: 10 Reviews

11-07-2012

Have had this kayak for about a year. Very good in the open Oklahoma Lake water, handles chop and wind well. Amazing how efficient and stable this is, much easier to paddle than my 13' Manitou. Would like a better seat though, as legs go to sleep after about 30 minutes.

01-02-2012
Submitted by: s hSend Email

I have had my Arluk 3 for over 10 years. the boat is a fiber glass model and has a stiffener down the center making it very stiff. Do to its low profile, it handle cross winds very well. the key to turn this boat on a dime in big waves is to dip the paddle on the wave crest. then we set up for a good surf with some pearling in the trough. because of the flaring bow the pearling is not a problem with this boat. the bow wont dive. again dry hatches dry gear i use garbage bags for my gear. love this boat

01-06-2010

Bought a 1992 Kevlar Arluk III from an Alaskan transplant to Texas in Sept. 2008. Got it for a steal at $500 and absolutely love it!

Very Fast, maneuverable and handles the rough choppy Texas lakes with ease. I give it a 9 as it was not designed for someone with big feet which can make it a little uncomfortable on long paddles. Changed out the seat which did improve it considerably, but I still get numbness in my legs on long paddling excursions.

Haven't loaded her down yet to see how she handles with gear, but I have heard from her previous owner that fully loaded, she is extremely stable and tracks even better than when empty. Overall, she is a pleasure to paddle. Will be keeping this one for many years to come.

08-07-2009
Submitted by: johnSend Email

Older Kayak. Very small cockpit. Limited storage space. With all of the newer, better, and more affordable kayaks, I would look into something else. I have been a paddler for over 15 years. I owned one of these and sold it months later. The fiberglass used is not the best made. Be careful looking at this kayak because there are a lot of people trying to sell them. I would not purchase the kayak if the seller is asking for more than $900. I have seen them going for around $800, here in Minnesota.

08-25-2008

In 1998, after a number of wonderful years, I sold my Necky Arluk III to a friend (who still paddles it)and then set about to buy a "better" boat. On the water, I tried the top boats in its class by 4 different manufacturers other than Necky. I could not find a better all-around boat. I bought 2 new kevlar Arluk IIIs which my wife and I paddle to this day. This boat fits a wide variety of friends, has a fast, good tracking waterline, and does very well for week long trips when loaded. I tried to find a better boat and couldn't.

10-15-2007
Submitted by: Brian D.Send Email

I drove to Alaska from Michigan with a new Arluk III on top of my rusty Aerostar, left the van in Valdez, took the kayak across Prince William Sound to Whittier, and paddled back to Valdez solo over a period of 15 days. I was worried at first because I was used to more stable folders, but the Arluk III proved very seaworthy, especially when heavily loaded. And yes, the hatch covers are definitely watertight.

08-03-2007

I've had mine for over ten years now. Use it weekly. Long trips include Gulfo de California for nearly two weeks. This boat can handle it all. I'd get another one...but don't need to ... this baby has held up to the duty. And she has very nice lines in the water. Sorry they aren't manufactured any more. I think it was one of the best ever produced by any manufacturer.

06-05-2007
Submitted by: randy roorbachSend Email

Best boat I've ever paddled - I have had the kevlar version for ten years at least, can't exactly remember. It can do a lot more than I can, takes seas and wind exceptionally well, tracks like it's on rails, accelerates like a Shelby Cobra, stays at cruising speeds with little effort, and handles both my 210 lbs and my partners 103 lbs equally well. She loves it although it looks a little big on her! Highly recommended, I've paddled many kayaks, never one that felt like this. Oh - if you want to turn on a dime this isn't the boat for you - but it does turn, and if you have a good lean/brace turn you can get the ends out and spin...

06-15-2006
Submitted by: wwSend Email

Cramped cockpit, slow to turn great speed.a challenge to load.

08-21-2002

It's odd that a boat that has been around so long has not been reviewed yet, so here goes. It's fast and easy to paddle in rough conditions. The volume is surprisingly 'medium' considering its length and 23" beam, and is as light as many shorter glass boats. While the secondary stability is not as great as with boats with higher freeboard and chines, its design allows waves to pass under the boat without grabbing. Both my girlfriend (115#) and myself (200#) both enjoy paddling it. It tracks straight but will make 45 degree course corrections easily. Full turn arounds take some room though. It is the only boat that I have owned that truly has watertight hatches from the get-go. In 2 years I have only used the rudder once and found that it works great, kind of a shame to have a great rudder on a hull design that doesn't need one. While it's not my first choice in surfing wind waves, its not ill-mannered either. I took off a point because its nose pearls easily.

If it where a car it would be a 7-series BMW. I hope other Arluk owners will share their thoughts as well.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!