Product Reviews > Accessories > Yakpads Heel and Pegpads Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Yakpads Heel and Pegpads

Yakpads Logo
See Products from Yakpads in the Buyers' Guide!
Yakpads in the Buyers' Guide:
  • Heel and Pegpadsô
  • Gel-Filled Canoe Seat
  • Paddle Saddle™ Seats

06-06-2008

I don't know if anyone has noticed yet but the Yakpads heel pads do not work for waffle-type foot pegs. I've heard from my local kayak shop that people have performed surgery on these Yakpads to make them fit their waffle style foot pegs. I didn't want to do that - I figure - if I buy something - it better work for the equipment I have or I don't want it at all. In the early part of 2008 - around February - I contacted Yakpads and asked if they have new heel pads that will fit the waffle style foot pegs and they said no but they did tell me that they've developed a prototype and made 2 of them - one they sent to China so they could make it and they offered to send me the other prototype for me to test and keep. Of course, I was more than willing to try it. I've never used Yakpads' heel pads before but here's my feedback on the heel pad and this new design that fits the waffle style foot pegs.

First, I agree with the other reviewer that mentioned that the pads slide around and doesn't stay in place. This is particularly evident if the bottom of your kayak isn't flat. The pads seem to slide towards the center of the kayak - if you have a flat bottomed boat - I don't think you'll have a problem. Don't get me wrong though - once you do a little footwork in your boat and get the pads positioned to your liking it will stay there as long as you have your heel on it.

As for the solution they've implemented to secure the heelpad in place for the waffle style foot pegs. I have one very important suggestion for you - do not attempt to install the footpad when you are already in the water in your kayak - you will be in danger of flipping yourself. Install the footpads on land outside of your kayak. It takes a little bit of maneuvering and crouching to get it in place but once its attached and you've tightened the nylon string that holds it together it stays in place.

Overall, the heel pads are great especially if you're paddling great distances. It takes a lot of stress off your heel and makes your paddling experience much more enjoyable.

02-01-2006
Submitted by: ChadSend Email

I do like these pads, but Iím having a hard time keeping the heel pad in place. Mine came with all the parts to install them, and Iím not sure if the snaps are stainless or not, but they have been in the boat for about 6 months now with no rust.

05-29-2003
Submitted by: ClintSend Email

They sound like a great idea. But they are HEAVY. They didn't include the snaps as promised to attaching the pads to the pegs. I got some from my local hardware store. Even with them, the peg pads are a little awkward. I don't consider them worth what they cost, but I didn't try to return them, and they are still installed in my boat.

08-05-2002

The Heel and Pegpads from Yakpads are great. Before I got these my heels always hurt. Now my heels feel great because of the Heel and Pegpads. I am glad I got them. The only thing I do not like are the snaps which are regular steel and will rust away. I prefer stainless steel.