Submitted: 03-28-2006 by dbhost

For a 14.5 foot canoe, this thing is heavy at just over 80lbs, due to the 3 layer RamXcell material. However that additional weight is due to good construction materials that will help keep you afloat in case of disaster. I haven't had to portage it very far yet, just from the truck to the lake, and back, maybe 100yds, and it was no big deal there. Mine is the DLX model with the ash / web seats, and ash yoke, which are well worth the few extra dollars and additional weight as the molded plastic ones are JUNK, (prior experience with a Colorado 155 with Plastic seats...).

Sitting midships on a small cooler makes for great paddling solo in this boat as well. It turns easily, draws nicely, and tracks fairly straight for a boat without a keel of any sort, I use mine for fishing in very shallow water, and while all my friends with the big power boats are stuck far away from the active holes where the shallows go deep and the game fish hang out to eat, I pull in lots of fish. Even with my substantial bulk in the boat, it doesn't draw much, and usually glides over underwater obstructions with ease. I have heard that Mad River is making their IQ system as an add on for this type gunwale now, and am seriously considering adding it to my boat so I can use their cammo setup for next duck season. This is a great boat for my purposes, just heavy is all...

New York Kayak Co.: