Submitted: 03-27-2006 by Andy

Had (2) 160k Discoveries; one a 1997 & the other a 2003 (which never saw water-sold it after the experience with the '97).

No complaints with handling, etc.

MAJOR disappointment with the Polylink3: The '97 suddenly showed separation cracking over 80% of its bottom, and not caused by abuse on rocks, etc. Called Old Town; I was advised that it has suffered "ultraviolet degradation", and should be "retired" from use. It was not considered repairable, and OTC offered no assistance (new boat at some discount, advice on repair etc.), since it was well out of warranty. Was advised to "keep out of direct sunlight" if possible! I don't expect any canoe to last forever, but I don't expect sunlight to destroy it either!

After my phone call (no hostilities) my emails as to repair kits, etc. went unanswered.

Still have a new-condition 17ft Discovery Sport square stern, Polylink3, and I am VERY careful to cover it with a silver tarp when not in use. Likely will sell it also before it has a chance to degrade.

Have had many canoes, from 1955 to date, mostly OTC's, including original Guide wood/canvas and Royalex (no problems w/ the Royalex), some Grummans, Radissons, Sportspals, others. All were no problem with material failure.

NO more Polylink3for this paddler...