Submitted: 03-22-2006 by DWT

This is to go along with my previous review on the same boat now that I have had it for a while. The boat paddled well in all kinds of conditions and once on the Colorado really did well with 2 ft waves and lots of wind causing other canoes to capsize. It was also easy to manage solo. The problem is with the structual integrity when transporting the boat. While on a back road at Lake Meade my rear cam strap slipped off the end of the bar and when I hit a did the canoe shifted foward and tipped down then back up. This snapped the gunwale and tore at least a foot into the hull material (Black Gold) Bell said it was going to cost nearly as much as a new boat to ship it back and get it repaired and returned.I had to make an insurance claim and unfortunately I had a $1000 deductable. Needless to say this was not a good experience for having the boat only a couple of month's. Bells workmanship was first class and the boat was a jewel but if I got another composite boat it would have hard anodized alunminum gunwales. Bell canoes are great and so is their customer service but wooden gunwales and BlackGold need pampering to last.