Submitted: 03-20-2006 by a1brainiac123
I have owned a Hobie Mirage Outback SUV Hank Parker Edition since I got it in 2005. It has the sail kit too.I live on Lake Erie/Sandusky Bay area and used this amazing and FUN craft 2-3 times a WEEK all of 2005. My last time out was the first week of October 2005. I have owned a power boat here for over 20 years, but I can truthfully say that I have had more pure fun and exercise on this kayak than I ever did on my powerboat, not to mention, no gas,no dockage, no repair bills. Getting to learn all the parameters of this boat took awhile, but as much as I've used it, nothing has ever broken or failed to perform as it was touted.I am under 6 foot tall and keep a low profile even though the seat sits high, which I find keeps you drier. The recomended wind parameters are I believe, 7-10 mph. I have had this thing out on Sandusky Bay in winds of closer to 15-20 mph.I would not recomend that to someone with no experience, but if you really want to FLY...this thing is a GAS ! Sometimes, in these higher winds, my legs may have to be over one side, and my head and shoulders over the other side, to maintain stability, but that thrill for me is the best part.It really feels like you are flying through the water.The drive system is great for being able to power tack in these higher winds.I have NO complaints, but my earlier version doesn't have the wider fore hatch, that is a good improvement. The built in holes for the transport wheels is another great idea.I am looking foreward to another great season of using this craft.