Submitted: 03-20-2006 by theyakfisher

Finally got to do a weekend trip with my girlfriend in the Crosswind. We paddled and camped the upper Cape Fear/lower Deep rivers near Corinth and Moncure, NC (see my trip report on p-net). The Crosswind handles heavy loads with ease and paddles (loaded) like a dream. Tracking leaves something to be desired but with the use of the rudder, no problem. The cockpits have enough seperation that even with 230 cm paddles, we never had to worry about paddling in synch. We did a 5-6 mile trip upriver with a steady 6 mph headwind gusting often to 12 mph and minimal effort was needed to keep the boat moving along even though we had lots of gear strapped to the deck (remember the Beverly Hillbillies?). Most often we just took turns paddling while the other fished or took photos.

The cockpits are huge and primary stability is such that one could probably stand up. I'll try when the water warms.

The stretch of river we paddled had few places to get out but the Crosswind is quite comfortable for long periods in the seat.

I have quite a few kayaks and was considering getting a canoe for river camping but since the Crosswind is akin to a Chevy Suburban and still paddles and glides like a kayak, I'm very happy with my decision.

This boat will also be used for a 2 mile open water crossing of Core Sound in NC for some serious beach camping.

If you've read my review of the CD Whistler, you already know my rating scale- 10 being perfect and doesn't exist, 9 can't be improved upon and 8 is haven't found anything better considering my needs. Based on that, the Crosswind is an 8.5!

OS Systems: