Submitted: 03-16-2006 by mantyak

After having extensively used the Jet for almost a year, I am surprised by SUBARUGURU's review. Not having much luck with things shiny and new, in my first race with the Jet I hit an underwater rock with the skeg that made the entire back end of the kayak lift up. It put a slight crack in the skeg and bent my rudder but no damage other than that. In fact, being much better at paddling than portage, I have dropped, dragged, jammed over beaver dams and basically abused the Jet without even the slightest damage to the craft (except, of course, for those scratches and dings I deserved...). I haven't used buoyancy bags and have, after swimming with the boat for a bit, emptied the full kayak a variety of times without any cracking of any kind. I am eventually going to put on some deck rigging to hold my lifejacket, however, at least I will be able to put the rigging where I WANT to put it. After many days of paddling in the sun, the gelcoat shows no signs of oxidative "exposure". The Jet has been just plain fun and fast to paddle. I've put more miles in this touring/racing kayak than any other I've had.