Submitted: 03-13-2006 by Bernie/CNY

I got mine used off ebay at a good price and picked it up on my way to LI to visit friends and do some fishing.Im very happy with the Tarpon.The speed and glide makes paddeling a breeze.The boat turns pretty well especially considering the 16'length.Turns a little quicker with the rudder and tracks great with or without the rudder deployed.Very stable with a nice dry ride.At first two things had me concerned.The molded seat has a hump in the center and no tankwell.Surprisingly the seat is very comfortable for me but some hate the hump as it causes them back pain.Ive also come to think the large rear hatch has advantages over a TW.You can store gear below without tethering to prevent loss as you do with a TW and access is almost as easy just a bit slower.Lots of folks simply add a crate on back as a substitute but Ive not tried that arraingement yet myself.The front hatch is identical to the rear and will swallow just about anything.They do a great job keeping water out.Neither has let a drop in yet.The flat/forward sloped floor is very comfortable with plenty of leg room.Rigging this yak for fishing is a breeze as the big hatches allow you to easily reach anywhere inside the hull for installation of any accesories you want to add with enough good surfaces topside.With the "possible" exception of the new Hobie Adventure 16' there's no better SOT for fishing out there.I havent had a chance to try the new "i" vewrsion yet.Some say the hull is identical but others say there are slight differences and feel the old hull paddles better.We'll see one of these days but for now I REALLY like this one!

Balance Solutions, LLC: