Submitted: 03-07-2006 by Patrick Stoneking

I purchased a ‘glass Necky Tesla 12 years or so ago to paddle long, unsupported trips in Alaska, Washington State, and Minnesota. I needed something that could take a lot of gear, was reasonably responsive, and was built like a tank. I have been very impressed with the Tesla. It holds a month’s worth of gear and food, paddles well in heavy seas, and is still fairly easy to roll. With very little maintenance, the kayak has taken quite a beating but has never leaked or broken any hardware. The only downsides I see with this boat are the exposed deck pad eyes and lack of flat compass mounting point. However, I have seen a newer Tesla with both of these issues fixed.

Although I have paddled a lot of other kayaks which had more room, were more responsive, or easier to roll, I have never found one that had all of these characteristics rolled into one boat. Because of this, I am still paddling my Tesla after all of the years. And, I see no reason to change.