Submitted: 03-06-2006 by Kevin

I got my SPTW used over a year ago. I have paddled slow rivers, mangrove tunnels, mosquito ditches(less than 4 feet wide, 2 feet deep at most), moderate surf (2-4ft), bays, inlets, islands, you name it. Living in Tampa gives me easy access to all of these. This kayak performs equally well in all these situations. I have read a lot of reviews, and I also did so before my initial purchase. The reviews seem to go hand in hand with what I have experienced.

Hatch gaskets need work- true. Tacking may be a problem initially-true as well. I believe this boat is pretty sensitive (good thing) and will accentuate the faults in your stroke. I have corrected my stroke and do not have problems. Paddling out in moderate surf was a blast. The boat blasts into and over whitewater, and will climb the face of unbroken waves!

Surfing this yak reminds me of my days longboarding. Catching swells easily, getting from place to place in surf doesn't have to be difficult. On flat water I can stand up in my yak, as the 14'9 size lends stability. Speed seems to be on par or SLIGHTLY faster than other SOT ive paddled. Donít expect a rocket- it is just a giant piece of plastic after all. TW space is perfect for storage.

I enjoy the SP's deep seat- almost lends a sit in feel instead of a Sit on top feel. I think a nice backrest is a must for longer trips. I went 20 miles one day and can tell you that I was in pain w/o a seat/ backrest. Add to that - this boat is bulky to carry, and doesn't seem to have an EASY way to carry, kinda feels like the weight shifts around on me.

OVERALL- If you find a deal on this boat, snatch it up. I do not foresee me EVER ditching mine if it keeps up its current level of performance

Sealline: