Submitted: 03-03-2006 by head4obx
I have had my Zoar Sport for about 3-4 years now (purchased used from this site) and used it on several ponds, lakes, harbors, and tidal rivers in NH and Maine. It is a great beginner kayak and serves well as I try new activities. I have not used it in the ocean but would not have reservations in doing so. It is a very stable kayak, and I have never tipped it over despite some "less than graceful" entries. It's a little wider than a touring kayak. This past year I rigged it for fishing and that has worked extremely well. There is space for flush mount rod holders behind the seat, and a Scotty rod holder in the front. There is also plenty of room at the ready for an anchor, tackle, moving around, and handling fish (I'm 5'8", 180 lbs). I do have a rudder which has helped me, especially when fishing the tidal rivers last year in strong currents or wind. But prior to that I didn't need the rudder very much. I haven't tried to roll or re-enter after tipping it, which wi! ll be the next step before ocean fishing. Its not the fastest yak on the water, but the lack of speed is easily offset for me by the stability and ease of transporting it. The weight is reasonable and I have no problems loading it on my jeep with the aid of some hully rollers. All in all I think the Zoar Sport is a great kayak for the money, especially when I compare it to some of the more popular plastic kayaks.

Bending Branches: