Submitted: 02-27-2006 by takemetotheriver

I am a 53 year old woman and have been paddling a canoe just about my entire life. About 5 years ago my husband and I decided to try kayaking while on a trip to the Adirondacks. We were instantly hooked! We paddled a tandem kayak because it seemed the natural progression from paddling a canoe together to paddling a kayak. So we tried a lot of different tandems and decided on the Old Towne Loon Tandem. We had some great trips with it, but all of our Kayaking friends had their own kayaks and I decided to try paddling on my own - and I loved it! The following year for Christmas I bought my husband an Old Towne Castine but come spring, I was begging for my own. We couldn't afford one that year so he frequently paddled the tandem by himself and I took his singel Castine. Well...the following spring I tried out a bunch of singles and actually settled on the Manitou without having the opportunity to paddle it, just bought it on the reccommendation of the paddlers and sales people at a local tent, camping and canoe/kayak store. I have not been disappointed at all. I LOVE this Kayak! And all of our friends who try it love it as well. It is light, fast, tracks fantastically and turns so responsively. We love to paddle rivers and streams with some white water, up to class II and it has always handled perfectly for me. Our streams here in the North East are very rock and boulder filled and my Necky Manitou navigates them with ease. It is stable yet not a "tugboat" at all, infact, I can easily keep up with all of the men that we kayak with. I purchased mine in 2005, but it was actually a 2004 model and the seat in mine is way more comfortable than the new one that they are using. My only complaint is the positioning of the things to adjust the seat with, they bump into my knees when I get in and out of the kayak and you can't rest your knees up when you are just floating because they bump into the adjusment things. But other than that, I have never been in a better kayak! I can't wait for some warm weather to get out on that water in my Banana Yellow Manitou!