Submitted: 02-27-2006 by hhallm

I love this canoe. Its tough, stable, and paddles well. Its a great recreational canoe. The soft flexible hull is perfect for the type of paddling we do, along lakes and slow rivers with rocky shores. Its large weight capacity for the length is great. It carried two large people with gear for 3 days in Okefenokee with no problem. Its short enough to manuever in tight spots but tracks well. I installed a webbed seat from Old Town in place of the middle thwart for solo paddling. The folks at Old Town were very helpful in selecting the right hardware.

Its not a speed demon, but I am not in a hurry and not concerned about covering alot of miles in a day. And its fast enough. We average 2.5-3 mph. The hull flexes a little but that comes in handy in shallow water with obstructions. The soft hull is great in the summer, feels fine on bare feet. In the winter, the insulation feature is nice. I have had the Guide 147 for two years and am looking forward to using it for many more years.