Submitted: 02-27-2006 by hhallm

I bought an Emotion Edge on 12/31/2005. This is my first kayak, I have paddled canoes for years. My son and I have about 30 hours in it so far. We really enjoy it. We are both big, over 6' 4". We fit in it just fine. The large open cockpit makes getting in and out very easy. It seems to be a little higher than some models, giving room to move my legs around so they aren't just straight out the whole time. The adjustable foot pegs are a nice feature. It tracks well, especially considering its small size. Seems stable enough, we felt comfortable learning in it in the cold weather. I was out in a stiff wind today and it handled like it was calm. I guess I am used to fighting wind in a canoe, paddling into the wind was no problem, the hull design around the cockpit kept the waves and chop out of the cockpit. We put a poncho over our lap to catch the spray and paddle drips, that has kept us nice and dry.

I guess the best thing about it is that its a great combination of lightness and performance for an affordable price. We use it on lakes and slow moving rivers. We spend hours in it, the seat is comfortable and easy to adjust. I would rather be on the water in a light, easy to use kayak than have a more expensive heavier one that sits in the garage because its trouble to get loaded and on the water. It is 5 minutes from deciding I want to go to having it off its storage straps and in the back of the pickup, with all the gear in the cab. We are very satisfied with this kayak.