Submitted: 02-27-2006 by Nathan

It's an alright yak, I've seen better, but if you're a beginner I'd say it's a good boat. The Tarpon 120 beats it, yeah, but that can be up to 200$ more. For the money, this is a good boat. Front hatch leaks a little, but not enough to cause too much of a problem unless you're battling 7 foot waves somewhere. I've been in up to 3 foot waves and swells with it (I had the misfortune to have a storm blow up on me) and it handled extremely well, I was suprised. It didn't take too much water over the front and I stayed rather dry, suprisingly, until I got myself back to shore which was probably a 2 mile paddle. I didn't have much gear onboard at time, just a tackle box, my poles, bait bucket, my 15 lb net (which was all in the back) and in the front I had some towels, a jacket, and some food. It doesn't track very well.. and that's my only complaint, paddle that comes with it is too short no matter what anybody tells me, and the speed is moderate, faster you paddle, faster you go though, so whatever.

Overall: good boat if you want a stable platform for fishing, paddling, etc. Too much gear and it becomes a heavy barge though, so beware.

Freedom Hawk Kayaks: