Submitted: 02-21-2006 by Coldstream

I bought this rack system after a month of research and I love it. I got the 421 model which fits my '98 Toyota Tacoma ext. cab truck. While I mainly use the rack system for the kayaks, it helps that I can lower the bars and install the Thule Ski racks so that they are secured. For the mountain bikes I have, I chose to detach the long try from my Thule bike trey and use just the vice part of the unit. With the bars elevated in high position, I just mount the bike's fork into the vice and let the back wheel sit in the truck bed. This helps keep parts of the bike down below the airstream, yet secured while I feel the rest of my truck bed with camping gear.

I did experience wind noise like the previous review stated and it does help if you put the strips on the bottom of the crossbar. Just be sure you have the strips secured by either a saddle mount or some other means so that it doesn't fly off.

My only concern with this system is the ability to 'lock' the uprights to your truck bed. I've thought about running a cable lock into the triangle hole on each of the uprights and tie it to the truck bed's corners where there is a tie-down hinge. Dunno if I am being too paranoid about someone stealing so I haven't decided yet!

Other than my little security concern, this unit is strong, sturdy and attractive on a pickup unlike some of the more 'industrial' looking solutions for hauling a kayak on a pickup.

P.S. In my picture, I use Yakima's Hully Rollers instead of a Thule brand saddle since their Rollercoaster is not compatible with the Xsporter crossbar. I used the t-bolts from the Xadapt4 kit to mount the HullyRollers. http://i1.tinypic.com/o796jn.jpg