Submitted: 02-09-2006 by cliffrnatp
Got a chance to paddle a friends EFT(calm lake only). I own a Thunderbolt and a Tempest 17 poly. Have always been curious about the EFT. I was very impressed and surprised. I thought it would be similar to some of the high end sea kayaks, like the Qcc700. But the cockpit and ergonomics are very different. More like that of a race boat and allow for full rotation and leg pumping. It felt less stable (very quick roll rate) than a Qcc700, or Tempest but alot faster and lighter. It had the stability I wish the Tbolt had (you can lay your paddle down and take a drink or check out the scene directly behind you without concern of capsize). But, you still need to at least be aware of your position. Conversely, in the 700 I felt I could lay down and watch the clouds. In the Tempest I can watch the stars and doze off. The EFT felt just as responsive and fast at low to average effort as the Tbolt. It was not until I really dug in for top speed that I could see the limitations. It never felt like a barge or anything (like my Tempest does now), it just did not have the glide that a Tbolt has at hi speeds. I fell in love with the boat and may buy one for winter training (less likely to capsize than Tbolt), and for unfamiliar waters/open water when not racing.