Submitted: 02-06-2006 by tlc10598
First, I was immediately struck by the fine worksmanship, good finish, and great hatches on my Kasco; there is a striking difference between these on my boat and on my son's Carolina 13.5. I tried both the Oopik and the Kasco, and for me, 5'8" and 160 pounds, with short legs, the Kasco was by far the better fit. In fact the fit is excellent, helping to make this a very responsive kayak. It seems to have an excellent balance between initial and secondary stability, leans easily several degrees but difficult to lean beyond that. Very manueverable, turns well. These factors are also apparent in contrast to the Perception Carolina 13.5.Mine was an end of season former demo; it came with no rudder but so far I don't think it needs one; it did come with two bulkheads which I do consider important. In sum, far more boat than most of the pure rec boats, but small and light enough for one person to car top it easily. I my well pleased with the choice, no way would I trade; my son likes mine but still prefers his, which is as it should be.

Sawyer Paddles: