Submitted: 01-30-2006 by jaws
14.5 carolina exolar. I have had my carolinba for about 6 months. It is a very stable kayak. Not perticularly fast. For a 5 foot 10 inch person the seat is very comfotable. Now for the bad news! As I am new to kayaking I had no clue that brand new kayaks can possibly not be straight. After explaining to fellow paddlers that my kayak constantly steers to the right I was given several explainations. Most said I was paddling strong on the left as compared to the right. Others said I was sitting with more weight on my left cheek as compared to the right. But now I have found the real culprit. My kayak is not straight. After going for a paddle I laid the kayak in my yard upside down. I could"nt help but notice that the last foot and a half curved off to one side. After looking at it I realized the curve would cause the kayak to steer to the right. SO all this time I was doing sweep strokes and leaning to my left so I could go straight was not my lack of experience. Just to prove my idea I bought a new kayak and found I can paddle it perfectly straight! Now I have a 6 month old carolina that I don"t paddle unless I want to be frustrated. I am tempted to take it back to the dealer to see if they can do something but after this long I assume they will not be of help. So as a final word of caution I would hope any new paddler who assumes their new kayak will be free of defects should be wary. If you suspect anything wrong with the way your kayak tracts take a long hard look at the bottom. If it appears crooked it probably is.