Submitted: 01-26-2006 by M.C.

I bought this canoe new as a scratch and dent about 4 years ago for $300. For an general recreation and family canoe, it would be hard to beat for the price. This thing is a barge, it can carry all your friends and family and all their stuff, but it just won't do it very quickly. I've gone hunting and fishing with three large guys and all our gear and it was quite stable and went about it's business without a fuss. My boys (4 and 3) can lean over the gunwale and there's no chance that we'll tip. Perfect for slow rivers and quiet lakes.

I have taken this canoe up to the BWCA on many occasions, and that's when the weight becomes an issue. Portaging is NOT fun, but it gives me an incentive to get in shape. One of these days I'll get a kevlar speedster for these trips and all will be well. Although, they too, have their downsides.

On one trip, we were plodding across a lake and two kevlar boats raced past and beat us to the landing. Well, this landing was particularly rocky and both of them put holes in their canoes. We bored in at full steam and hit every rock we possibly could. Picked up our canoe, now with a couple more scratches, and went on our merry way while the other boaters went about patching up their canoes. It IS a tank, and I expect it will last a lifetime or two.