Submitted: 02-13-2000 by Terry

Having paddled an 18'Old Town for years while tripping and camping with the family, I received a call from my brother that he saw a canoe for sale. Turned out to be a Sawyer Cruiser 17'9" that the owner "found" hanging in a barn on some property he had just purchased. Almost fainted when I saw what he had (and in pristine condition) How did it get here from Oscoda,Mi.? .Took it out for a spin right then and there still covered with dust. It was late evening as the sun was setting here in Louisiana as I experienced for the first time what a well designed canoe is all about. Both of us had been missing out on the feel of traversing water and I'm not sure who was the happiest. I designed and installed a cane solo seat which I tilted lower in the front for paddling in a kneeling position. I do not hesitate to cross open areas and Lakes anymore. This hull is fast, low, and I must say designed to go in a straight line. Recently I joined a paddling club and a gentleman who owned a canoe sales and rental business caught up to me in a Kayak and expressed his utter amazement that the Sawyer was so fast. Its a great boat if you can still find one. I called the company about a year ago and was fortunate enough to catch one of the owners who was gracious enough to give me the history on the company and some insight on Ralph Sawyer(7 time world olympic champion) Sawyer stopped advertising in the buyers guides that I've collected the last 15 years, so good luck if your in the market. Not sure if there even still in business. He told me something I will never forget. He said, "Son, you better hold on to it, you got yourself a classic." Oh yes,It's fiberglass,aluminum gunwales, and molded tractor seats!

Northwater Paddle Sports: