Submitted: 01-11-2006 by jeff

I'm a new sea kayaker and wanted a light but durable kayak. I love the skylark. It is so much fun to paddle. We've had one serious winter storm in which my boat was bashed around and hung by a cable. It didn't have a scratch. For exploring little inlets and shelves it's hard to beat and the decking and rear bulkhead and carbonlite finish make it look and feel like a real sea kayak. I've had more than one person comment on its looks.

However I do want to do some real sea kayaking expeditions in the southern gulf islands, and was advised that this boat should not be taken there as it will be too difficult to control in big seas, and to do self rescue in. I'm definitely eyeing one of the skylarks bigger siblings for next year. But I think I'll keep it because it is just too much fun.

Backwater Paddle Company: