Submitted: 01-04-2006 by hossyman

I purchased the Explorer 16 RX Sp Edition a few years ago when I lived in Maryland. I have had this canoe in everything from class 2+ to 3+ waves in the Chessapeake, to lazy rivers, and have never had a thought of trading it. Obviously, when in white water or open water, common sense should prevale. This thing will take everything you can give it and then some. While it may not be the lightest boat afloat, it tracks, handles well, and the speed is quite impressive. Speed is a relative term. I would classify this canoe as an SUV in the Jeep/BMW class. It will almost go anywhere, do anything, and do it safely and in style.

This canoe is also not the cheapest, but you cannot put a price on safety, the feeling of safety, and the knowledge that it will get you home.

If you are looking fo a conoe that is a safe do it all ( within reason ) leave in mirror calm water, and come back in 3 footers, then stop looking and check this one out.

As a side note, I got mine with wood gunwales, which I like the looks of. If you live in a cold climate, make sure you losten the gunwale screws and that will keep the RX from having a tendency to crack when expanding and contracting. I have never had a problem with this, ever.