Submitted: 01-02-2006 by tlc10598
During the past full season I found the Solo 14 to be an excellent boat for a beginner as well as for more experienced paddlers; I simply don't understand those to criticize it as being tippy, though perhaps the seat height has varied over the years. I both kneel and sit at different times; the seat is plenty high enough for my small feet to kneel comfortably. I also sometimes use a canoe paddle (love my cherry Nashwaak Cruiser), but when accompanying kayakers I often use a double which eliminates the kayak's speed advantage. It is certainly plenty stable for fishing and photography, as well as just "messing around". If anything, to me there is a bit too much initial stability at the expense of secondary stability and speed.

I use mine mostly on small and medium sized lakes as well as slow moving rivers, and have no trouble with tracking well, but appreciate its maneuverability. At 39 lbs (R-84 layup) it is a pleasure to load and unload, and is more than sturdy enough for the places I paddle. It has drawn many admiring comments from both other paddlers and bystanders; particularly those struggling with loading and unloading heavier tandem canoes. I am well pleased, and would recommend it to others without hesitation for these uses, and can't think of a better canoe for the person starting out. The Mohawk people have been helpful and a pleasure to deal with at every step.