Submitted: 12-28-2005 by karhu190

My wife and I purchased used Kevlar lightweight from Ely outfitter and got it this last March after some delays. More deep scratches than anticipated from description. Got it as substitute for our ancient 17' Grumman standard.

Plusses: light weight easier for my wifes compromised back (mine also), fast, easier in waves and maneuverable.

Negs: Does not turn to weather like the Grumman with keel (we get wind here on the Columbia River). Moving the rear seat 6" forward helped some, but its still a chore even with a middle paddler and all paddling on same side (yeah, I know what some may be thinking, but some times this set up is needed...). Am considering adding 16' 1x2 as keel (yep, I know the Indians did not use keels, but there may have been times that they wished they had 'em).

Overall satisfied. I like it better than the old Whitewater II I owned many years ago. Happy paddling!