Submitted: 02-10-2000 by TFB

Kayak reviews are often based on personal opinion and some stats. In this case, the Millenium 160 achieves high scores in each category. It is a joy to paddle after one gets used to the limited initial stability. This yak really shows itself off well in executing tight turns even without using the rudder, running quickly and smoothly through the water (it seems to never want to slow down even after I stopped paddling), and riding waves of 3-4 feet without much effort due to its sharply cut bow. The hatches remained nearly water proof even after several rolls, the hardware is well fitted and the cockpit is roomy enough with being crowded - something very important if one plans to spend a day or two in the boat. The seat is comfortable and with the addition of thigh braces that now come with the boat, it "fits" my body well and follows my every move. I especially like the large fore and aft hatches - you can stuff a lot even in this 16 footer. The polylink-3 construction is like a rock (I partly based my purchase on this factor - my Old Town Tripper canoe outlasted "combat" many rocks in the rivers of Maine and New Hampshire!). Indeed, other similar boats appear flimsy in comparison. This could be an important factor for anyone cruising or landing along a rocky coastline. Old Town also makes the Millenium 174 - about a foot and a half longer than this boat. But the size of my garage and the handiness of this length makes it a "winner" for afternoon cruising and even extended trips.