Submitted: 12-16-2005 by John

I just got this on Black Friday for $229 at Dick's--not as good a price as some, but still around half the price of a Pungo or Pamlico. I have paddled a Pungo 100 and I don't see $170 difference!

The day I paddled, the water was very smooth, and I felt the Blast was plenty quick, though without the glide of a longer kayak. The comfort for one hour was fine. The bow had some movement with each stroke, but not bad--certainly not more than 5%.

I purchased the Blast because I wanted a small, easily cartopped kayak, that could do everything from flat water to class 2--and I am sure it can.

One last item I liked. When paddling some other rec kayaks, the bow wave can be frustrating and an obvious speed controlling factor--but the Blast is designed with a fine entry and stern. It rapidly spreads to a wide, stable mid section, but there isn't a big bow wave like I had in the Blackwater 11.5 for instance.

After I have tried it one a windy lake and on the river, I will report again. If it is as good an all round kayak as I hope, I will upgrade it to a 10.

BTW, I have paddled and owned several rec kayaks and sea kayaks, both solo and tandem. You buy a Blast, not because it is a thoroughbred, but because it is a prospector's donkey--a go anywhere, do anything, very low care kayak.