Submitted: 11-28-2005 by Ben Dover

I recently traded in my 12 ft. polyethylene Perception Sundance and upgraded to the Tampico XL. I have been kayaking for about two years now and I wanted something that was faster and more high performance than what I had been using. The guy at the kayak shop suggested the Tampico XL because:

a): I'm 6ft tall (has more leg room than the Tampico S).
b): I live in an apartment and can't store anything over 14.5 ft. (fits fine in my bedroom although my wife hates it there. lol!)
c): The price was right.
d): ...and weighs 13 pounds less than the smaller kayak I was trading in!

Felt kinda tippy at first when I got it in the water (I was used to paddling a wide rec. kayak), but I got used to it after an hour or so. The difference in speed and tracking was evident almost immediately, and I covered more distance that day than I ever had with my perception. I paddle in mostly intercoastal water and the Tampico does just fine in the moderately choppy water and strong current. The 13lb. weight difference between it and my old boat is another perk when loading and unloading the Tampico from my car. All in all, this is the best boat I've seen in its price range. Comparable kayaks in its class will cost you hundreds more. It'll do me just fine for a couple more years.

I think the people at hurricane could have done a little better with the seat and the straps to adjust the backrest (which are damn near impossible to adjust when your in the cockpit-not a big deal though). But I'm still gonna give this boat a ten based on affordability and performance. Buy one today!...you'll be glad you did.